Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Traffic vs non-IP Traffic

Hi,

I'm looking for information about IP Traffic and non-IP Traffic. The behavior, similarities, differences, examples etc2..

There's not much information that I can found on google

This is one of them
    http://volnet.utk.edu/cutover/spin/ip.html

Correct me if I'm wrong. Based on this article, I assume that IPX and AppleTalk traffic are examples of non-IP traffic rite? How about non-IP traffic? How to identify which traffic is IP traffic and which one is not?

Is it true that all IP traffic do have an IP Address? And if non-IP traffic doesn't have IP Address, how do we manage/control non-IP traffic in our firewall or any network devices?
    Last edited by networkerz; 19th April 2010, 12:24.

Re: IP Traffic vs non-IP Traffic

use wireshark to capture some packets on your network (obtain permission first!) and start to read the packet headers, things like that..

also, try something like Sam's Teach Yourself TCP in 21 days - that can be helpful
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: IP Traffic vs non-IP Traffic

Originally posted by networkerz View Post
      P Address, how do we manage/control non-IP traffic in our firewall or any network devices?
      The Internet is only IP traffic so that is the only type of traffic the firewalls need to inspect. If you are running another protocol then it can only be used within your organization and all the devices involved will be configured accordingly. But most networks use TCP/IP for their internal network.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X