Dnssec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dnssec

One of my helpdesk lads pointed me in the direction of This Register post today about DNSSEC.

I felt pretty stupid when I had to admit that I hadn't heard anything about it.

Does anyone know the maximum UDP packet size that I should be setting on my firewalls? I run Juniper in my core and these seem to have 512 set as a default in the DPI.

Cheers
    Dean

Re: Dnssec

Why the 5th of may? It looks like 7 out of 13 root servers and some country level domain servers are returning signed packets already http://www.h-online.com/security/new...rs-962569.html.
    If you are using root hints, remove all the other servers and leave , let's say the K-root server and monitor the impact.
    I have noticed this RFC: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3226 mentioning about the UDP packet sizes.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by DeanPorter View Post
      One of my helpdesk lads pointed me in the direction of This Register post today about DNSSEC.

I felt pretty stupid when I had to admit that I hadn't heard anything about it.

Does anyone know the maximum UDP packet size that I should be setting on my firewalls? I run Juniper in my core and these seem to have 512 set as a default in the DPI.

Cheers
      Dean
      I could be wrong but if you're using DNSSEC then you don't really need a legacy validation method such as checking the packet size.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
        I could be wrong but if you're using DNSSEC then you don't really need a legacy validation method such as checking the packet size.
        The problem is that a DNSSEC packet is larger than 512 bytes and many routers\firewalls may block DNS packets (incoming query answers) that have DNSSEC info and are therefore larger than 512 bytes.

I know our firewalls have a problem with this and as there's no budget for replacements I've chosen to use forwarders instead of the root hint servers.

Comment

Yes, thats why I would turn off DNS packet length inspection if I was using DNSSEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
            Yes, thats why I would turn off DNS packet length inspection if I was using DNSSEC.
            I misunderstood you. Still, some firewalls\routers may not have the ability to turn it off. Unless I'm still misunderstanding the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X