Subnetting classful and classless confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subnetting classful and classless confusion

I am studying subnetting right now and I have a question about subnet classes vs classless.
    A Class A IP address has a 0 in the first bit and thus has an IP range of 0-127 with 0 being reserved and 127 the loopback.
    Class b has 10 with range 128-191
    Class c has 110 with range 192-223

so and address that begins with say 129.x.x.x is a class b address and thus needs a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

However I have seen addresses such as 10.1.1.0/30 used for serial connections between routers. Now is the difference that these are /30 addresses and thus are classless and as a result do not follow the same range rules?

Re: Subnetting classful and classless confusion

the 10.x.x.x network is private (not routable over the internet) so anyone can do anything they like with it, regardless of "rules"
    Also some owners of public class A and B networks have leased off parts of their range and subnetted accordingly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X