Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connectivity issues through ASA (was:Bizarre..Has Anyone Seen THis Problem Before)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connectivity issues through ASA (was:Bizarre..Has Anyone Seen THis Problem Before)

This is really so bizarre that I'm not sure which forum section I should put it. The problem is that we have this citrix type (powerterm) application server running in a VM4 environment and accessible by both internal and external users (sits behind a cisco ASA firewall). In the last two months, we've had numerous situations where the server stops responding to external access or even a ping when you ping it from outside the network or even when you connect to network via VPN without RDP into a desktop on the inside. But the server responds to all connections, pings from the inside.

At first, I thought maybe it could be the ASA firewall even though every other externally accessible server is fine, but now here comes the really weird part. Once we reboot the server, all is fine again.....?!?!?. That is all it takes to temporarily fix this problem....a simply reboot. It stays fine for few days, then same problem happens again.

Has anyone seen this mess before? Any ideas because i'm pulling all my hair out. Any kind of input will be very helpful..atleast tell me i"m not going crazy

Re: Bizarre..Has Anyone Seen THis Problem Before

Have you checked the logs for more insight.
    Not sure if this is the same product but have a look P156: http://remote.st-pauls.surrey.sch.uk...torsManual.pdf
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Bizarre..Has Anyone Seen THis Problem Before

I have poured through all the logs looking for answers but nothing. I have contacted the software vendor of the apps running on this server and they have no answers too. I'm getting to the point of thinking of rebuilding the server but not knowing the cause or explanation kills me.

Comment

Re: Connectivity issues through ASA (was:Bizarre..Has Anyone Seen THis Problem Before

Before rebuilding the server, consider obtaining a reference packet capture from the ASA when the application is working properly. Then, when the application stops working, obtain another packet capture from the ASA. Using wireshark, you should be able to compare packet captures to see if the ASA or application is not responding (so to speak). It’s a painful process trying to compare packet captures (use filters), but I have found its worth the effort in isolating the problem.

If you have never done packet capture from the ASA, see the following link. Adding the proper ACL that is referenced by the “capture” command will be critical in using the packet capture to isolate if the ASA or application is at fault. A couple of other commands I have used on the ASA to help with fault isolation are “show blocks” and “show xlate”.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X