Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Netgear DG834G

hello All

I have a netgear DG834g Router which gives out dns and dchp to two computer in the house I have had a wall build between the kitchen the two computers I now have very linited wireless access I can't run a rj45 cable to connect the computer(wife say)or to an access Point So my thinking was to buy another netgear DG834 router disable the dchp change the ssid name to the same as the old router then somehow piggy back the signal to the computers will that work?

Re: Two Netgear DG834G

Let me introduce you to some perfectly good punctuation marks . , ; : and even !

So you are wanting to use the second router as a wireless bridge?
    Looking very briefly you cannot -- a WAP would be better

But I think I may be misunderstanding you -- you are proposing to connect the two routers wirelessly?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry about the punctuation!

I thought of a WAP but the wall get's in the way, I don't fancy drilling a hole in the new wall. The answer the your question is yes I would like to join the two Routers together is that possiable? so the second router can boost the signal to the computers.

Router > Wall > router > > computer 1 > Computer 2

Comment

Can you get wireless signals thru the wall -- if so you need a wireless bridge, which many WAPs are able to do
        Basically:

LAN--ROUTER-(over wifi)-WAP in bridge mode--LAN
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Cheers

I will try this.

Comment

If the wall is causing that much signal loss then I wouldlook at some way to run a cable round the wall. Under the floor, through the ceiling space and then down the wall space.

I have 15 network points, 17 phone points and 7 TV points (along with 128 power points) and they are all under the house or up in the ceiling and down the wall space. All terminated with the appropriate wall plates, all neat and tidy.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X