IP Address Conflict on my LAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Address Conflict on my LAN

I have a LAN set-up which wirelessly connects my laptop to the desktop. The desktop is linked to the Web through a DSL modem , then a wireless equipped router linked to the desktop's nic card.

XP Pro is on both machines. After several years of this arrangement without any error messages I have recently got the Error message on the laptop which says :-
    "Windows System Error.There is an IP conflict with another system on the network"

I have checked all the IP'S of which I'm aware on my LAN which are :- that of the desktop , that of the laptop and the Gateway . All of these are non-conflicting.

Does this message , therefore , mean that some other external wireless network , say one of my neighbours could be causing this intereference ? If I check "View Wireless Networks" on the laptop I can see no other networks being indicated.

How do I discover just where this conflict is happening.
    It first appeared last week but , when I rebooted the laptop the next day the error message was gone but re-appeared again several days later.

I have been reading similar posts here on this or similar problems but all of them seem to be happening in crowded offices with , presumably , the strong possibility of overlap and interference of other networks.

My situation is set-up at home and I have only ever been able to detect the presence of two other networks , both of which are protected as is mine.

Re: IP Address Conflict on my LAN

What is acting as the DHCP server? Or is this static IPs? If you have a DHCP server, log into its interface and see what has been given leases. If it's static, you could do some rudimentary sleuthing such as looking up the MAC address of that device and matching it to the hardware manufacturer to see if you recognize any device that it might be
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
      I have a LAN set-up which wirelessly connects my laptop to the desktop. The desktop is linked to the Web through a DSL modem , then a wireless equipped router linked to the desktop's nic card.
      Is this the same network that you posted the nice drawing for in another post? If it is, reset everything back to Factory Defaults, put a Static IP on the near side of the Modem and let DHCP on the Modem assign all the IP & DNS addresses to the WAP, Desktop and Laptop. (Personally I prefer to assign Static IPs to Servers, Switches, Printers and only use DHCP on workstations and laptops etc. but that is just me)

Reseting to Factory Default will clear out any Dynamic rubbish but you may need to check the Desktop and Laptop of any Static IPs that may have been set in the Alternate Configuration in the TCP/IP Properties.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

In event viewer you should have something like

Source: TCP/IP
        Description: The system detected an address conflict for IP address
        0.0.0.0 with the system having network hardware address
        xxxxxxx.

You can also try using the arp - a command from the MS DOS

The x's are the mac address of the offending device. You can then use something like http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/ this will tell you the vendor of the device or at least the vendor of the devices network card and should help you locate the device.

Also double check to your wireless router, most have a way to tell what devices are attached to it. You may have someone else using your connection.
        Last edited by kgantt; 10th February 2010, 17:45.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Is this the same network that you posted the nice drawing for in another post? If it is, reset everything back to Factory Defaults, put a Static IP on the near side of the Modem and let DHCP on the Modem assign all the IP & DNS addresses to the WAP, Desktop and Laptop. (Personally I prefer to assign Static IPs to Servers, Switches, Printers and only use DHCP on workstations and laptops etc. but that is just me)

Reseting to Factory Default will clear out any Dynamic rubbish but you may need to check the Desktop and Laptop of any Static IPs that may have been set in the Alternate Configuration in the TCP/IP Properties.
          Thanks for the reply. No I didn't use a drawing so that must have been someone else's post. Mine is a simple 2-machine LAN using a DSL modem from the phone line thence to a wireless0-equipped router and thence to the NIC on the desktop.

I'm afraid I don't understand your comment about "..aStatic IP on the near side of the modem and let the Modem assign....etc "
          By "Modem" here are you referring to my DSL modem and by "WAP" are you referring to my router ( a Linksys WRT54GS )? If so then I do not know how to do this on a DSL modem.

Comment

Originally posted by kgantt View Post
            In event viewer you should have something like

Source: TCP/IP
            Description: The system detected an address conflict for IP address
            0.0.0.0 with the system having network hardware address
            xxxxxxx.

You can also try using the arp - a command from the MS DOS

The x's are the mac address of the offending device. You can then use something like http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/ this will tell you the vendor of the device or at least the vendor of the devices network card and should help you locate the device.

Also double check to your wireless router, most have a way to tell what devices are attached to it. You may have someone else using your connection.
            Again thanks for the reply. This reply answers one of the questions I asked before in this thread or , at least , if not asked , implied. That was that , with a 2-machine LAN , there are only a few IP's involved if the problem originated from the LAN and not from somewhere outside the LAN.
            I have to admit , ruefully, that I never thought of checking the Event Viewer and your reply also explains the need to check Network hardware addresses - something else I never did nor knew the necessity to check.

The problem is this Error is an intermittent one and , today , has disappeared again. If and/or when it re-occurs I shall keep all these points in mind and post back

N.B.
            Since posting above , I checked the Event Viewer around the time this Error Message first appeared some days ago as suggested by KGANTT and found a TSP/IP error which included a MAC address. This turned out to be the address of another appliance which is connected to the LAN and which I had forgotten to check. This is the Logitec Squeezebox which I use to play music d/l from iTunes from my hard drive. It has an IP in the same range automatically obtained when it is first switched on. I'll keep a look-out for this if I again get an IP confliction . I'm pretty sure this is the cause now. I'll probably go over to static IP'S in future.

Thanks for all the help , folks.
            Last edited by thenoo; 10th February 2010, 21:31. Reason: Additional Information since Posting

Comment

Working...
            X