New Router wpa2 Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Router wpa2 Question

I have been running a LAN with Desktop linked to the Web by a DSL modem liked to a wireless router which has WPA security. There is a laptop linked wirelessly to the router.

I am about to replace the router with a new one which , unlike the original router , now has WPA2 security.

I seem to have read somewhere that , for the LAN to be protected to the WPA2 standard , it will also be necessary to have the NIC cards on both desktop and laptop to also be WPA2 capable .

Question 1.
    Is this a requirement ?

Question 2.
    How do I determine whether my NIC cards have this capability.

I looked in the PROPERTIES of the desktop card but couldn't see any reference to WPA and/or any other type of security mentioned there .

Re: New Router wpa2 Question

Usually, when you setup a new wireless connection you'll see if the adapter supports it. Generally, unless your machine is too old, it should be ok. If not look for an updated driver.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

AFAIK no wired card needs WPA -- unless I am totally misreading the OPs question
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I was only referring to the Laptop. I am not sure about the details of the query, but if the desktop has also a wireless NIC then it applies to that as well.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

1. No.

2. Try and logon to a WPA2 protected network.

Comment

Working...
          X