Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home network. Can ping to wireless AP but not to modem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home network. Can ping to wireless AP but not to modem?

Hi,

Here is the setup.

Can I connect to the internet: Yes
    Can I ping and access to the wireless AP: Yes
    Can I ping and access to the modem: No

But I can ping and access to the modem if I connect directly from notebook to the modem.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? Thanks

Ping wireless AP. OK
    ping 192.168.1.16

Pinging 192.168.1.16 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.16: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.16: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
    Ping modem. Failed

ping 192.168.1.10

Pinging 192.168.1.10 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.18: Destination host unreachable.
    Where 192.168.1.18 is my Notebook

Re: Home network. Can ping to wireless AP but not to modem?

Is your AP a router or is it just an AP???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Is your AP a router or is it just an AP???
      WBR-3406TX 11g Wireless AP Router.

Is there any additional setting that I should add? All of them, notebook, AP Router and modem in the same segment. I guess additional routing is not needed here rite?

Comment

Your right that you don't need additional routing and thats probably where your problems are occuring. As both networks are in the same address range it can't route traffic as it thinks its local.

How many ports does the AP have and what are they labelled??

If i were you i'd be looking at moving the AP WAN port onto the LAN and sitting it on the same subnet as your exisitng LAN.

Also disable the DHCP server on it as its not needed.

Or even easier would be to go out and buy a dedicated AP rather than an AP and router. Or get a router that is wireless enabled.

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Your right that you don't need additional routing and thats probably where your problems are occuring. As both networks are in the same address range it can't route traffic as it thinks its local.
          Hm...Maybe I should use different subnet and add additional routing? What do you think about it. The main reason why I use the same subnet is so I can connect to both devices easily without changing the ip address of the notebook.

How many ports does the AP have and what are they labelled??
          5 ports. Yes, they are labelled. One is for WAN port whereby I put cable from the modem to here and the rest are for LAN ports whereby one of the cable is going to the notebook. Here is how the AP looks like

WBR-3406TX11g Wireless Broadband Router

*Complies with IEEE 802.11b/g
          *Integrate with 4 ports Fast Ethernet switch: 10/100Mbps MDI/MDIX auto-sensing
          *Provide 10/100Mps WAN interface to connect with DSL or cable modem for broadband Internet access
          *Browser-based interface configuration and management: OS independent, easy-to-use for consumer install
          *Built-in firewall to protect your Intranet
          *Supports Wireless security
          http://uk.level1.com/product_d.php?id=30

And here is the physical setup

If i were you i'd be looking at moving the AP WAN port onto the LAN and sitting it on the same subnet as your exisitng LAN.
          You mean put the cable from the modem into one of the LAN port? I've tried it and yes, I can ping to both AP and modem. Unfortunately, I can't connect to the internet.

Move Modem cable from WAN port into LAN port at AP Router
          #ping 192.168.1.10 -t

Pinging 192.168.1.10 with 32 bytes of data:
          Reply from 192.168.1.10: bytes=32 time=990ms TTL=254
          Reply from 192.168.1.10: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=254
          Reply from 192.168.1.10: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=254

#ping google.com -t

Pinging google.com [64.233.181.106] with 32 bytes of data:
          Reply from 64.233.181.106: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=54
          Reply from 64.233.181.106: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=54
          Request timed out.
          Request timed out.
          Also disable the DHCP server on it as its not needed.
          I've disable the DHCP server on the AP and it can't get the IP Address from the modem. The new ip that got is 169.254.223.255 where the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Microsoft Windows OS. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. This configuration has no default gateway for the interface.

http://www.computing.net/answers/net...s-c/22962.html

Or even easier would be to go out and buy a dedicated AP rather than an AP and router. Or get a router that is wireless enabled.
          Thanks for your suggestion. But I'll utilize whatever device that I have right now. Is there big different between AP and AP Router?
          Last edited by networkerz; 1st February 2010, 10:47.

Comment

Is the Modem configured so when you connect it to the WAN port on the Wireless Router it defaults to Bridge Mode? Is the Wireless Router doing your Internet Authentication?

I have seen Cable Modems lock onto the MAC Address and only that MAC Address had Internet access. If you change the port the Modem is connecting to then the MAC need to be released from the Modem by rebooting the Modem.

If you can connect the Modem to the WAN port on the Wireles Router and get Internet access then I would not worry about not being able to pin the Modem. Without knowing your ISP, I would guess the Modem going into Bridge Mode may be the cause of Destination host unreachable.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If your happy with the setup that you have then you will need to look at subnetting or changing the subnet your on or the subnet that the router is on.

I'd leave the subnet the router is on and configure the subnet that your computer is on with a different range.

Routing between the 2 should work as it knows what subnets are connected to what.

Internet Modem LAN IP 192.168.1.10/24.
              AP Router WAN IP 192.168.1.11/24.
              AP Router LAN IP 192.168.2.10/24.
              Your machine 192.168.2.11/24.

Setup DHCP on the AP and disbale it on the modem as its not needed there as there are no clients connecting to that other than the AP which you've assigned a static IP address to anyway.

That should work perfectly for you.

The difference between an acces point and an access point router is just that. It routes traffic to different subnets for you. An Access point is jsut a wireless point on an exisitng network and does no routing.

Comment

I'm confused, why are you not letting your AP router gets is DHCP info from the modem?

Internet>
                Modem>
                AP Router (WAN IP example 69.236.378.45 from modem>
                Also if using PPPoE, enter your credentials given to you by your ISP on the AP Router.
                AP Router (LAN IP 192.168.1.1 - Scope 192.168.1.10-14 DHCP enabled with scope setup as shown)
                Laptop (enable to get IP info from AP router.

Or...

The way you have setup now, I would make sure that the AP router is pointing the clients to the IP (192.168.1.10) of the modem as a gateway.

Comment

Here is another option, assuming that the access point you are using has a built in switch.

Turn off DHCP on the AP, make sure the IP address of the AP is something like 192.168.1.10 (assuming the modems IP is 192.168.1.1)
                  Plug the modem into the lan side of the switch.

This lets the AP act as the access point/ switch that it is and the modem/ router do its thing with out the hastle of double NAT or other problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X