Passive Web filtering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive Web filtering

I am looking for a passive solution to web filtering. I would like for it to sit on my desktop and tell me where users are going without installing more hardware. I have tried untangle on a server it gave me everything I wanted but it I lost the hardware to another department now I am looking for something that will just sit on my desktop and monitor what people are doing so that I can prove we need to buy hardware for this.

Re: Passive Web filtering

If Untangle was doing the job right for you, maybe use it on a Virtual Machine.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      If Untangle was doing the job right for you, maybe use it on a Virtual Machine.

I would still like to find something that will sit on my desktop I dont think a VM will will be able to handle the network load of 60 users

Comment

Originally posted by randywhite30 View Post
        I would still like to find something that will sit on my desktop I dont think a VM will will be able to handle the network load of 60 users
        Our web filter sits on a VM with 700 users. I don't think the CPU goes past 10%

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
          Our web filter sits on a VM with 700 users. I don't think the CPU goes past 10%
          What's the specs on that server though? A 4-way, 6-core Opteron box with two LOX/LH2 feeds and a Cummins diesel in the parking lot to keep the hose pressure up?
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

It's on 2008 x64, 2 vCPUs (Xeon L5420) and 4 GB RAM.

Even some of the big names in Web Filtering offer virtual server based packages.

Comment

I have found a product that does about half of what I want in very nice and plain english I can give to the boss. Its the solorwinds Orion, it doesnt tell you where people are going or what websites they visit but it gives you a good view of the amount of bandwidth being used on the interfaces

Comment

Have a look at Clark Connect. http://www.clarkconnect.com/
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Have a look at Clark Connect. http://www.clarkconnect.com/

That looks more like an inline solution and since the company wont give me any money for hardware I dont think this solution wont work

Comment

Originally posted by randywhite30 View Post
                    That looks more like an inline solution and since the company wont give me any money for hardware I dont think this solution wont work
                    It doesn't have to be an inline solution. Just port mirror the switch port that connects to your firewall's LAN port and aim the duplicate stream at the clarkconnect machine.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                    X