LAN only "networks" in one Direction!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN only "networks" in one Direction!

I have a LAN setup between my desktop ( XP Pro SP3 ) and a laptop ( XP Pro SP3 ) .
    The desktop ( dtop ) is connected to the Web through a DSL modem then a wireless router ( Linksys WRT54GS ) from which latter the laptop ( ltop ) connects.

Both machines are set to MSHOME and have Zone Alarm set to allow :-

dtop 192.168.1.100
    ltop 192.168.1.103

When I go on the dtop to MY Network Places>Entire Network .....etc both dtop and ltop are accessible and I can access all shared folders.

When I do the same on the laptop I end at MSHOME , i.e. neither dtop nor ltop show up

When I go into the cmd prompt , the ltop recognises pings from both "dtop" and its IP ADDRESS

From the dtop the IP ADDRESS pings OK but not the name "ltop"

Can anyone tell me wht the problem is here ?

Re: LAN only "networks" in one Direction!

This may sound silly, but I've seen this problem to be resolved by a simple router reboot. No harm in trying it.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: LAN only "networks" in one Direction!

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      This may sound silly, but I've seen this problem to be resolved by a simple router reboot. No harm in trying it.

Ta
      Thanks for the reply - it doesn't sound silly to me - but , perhaps , my next question will <g>

How do I re-boot the router ? I've never done that before .

Comment

Re: LAN only &quot;networks&quot; in one Direction!

FWIW,

If I connect the laptop by Ethernet cable to the router , I get normal Networking i.e. I can see and share both machines in each direction.

I'm not sure whether this is significant as , I have to admit , I find the whole networking business a bit of a Black Art

Comment

hi,
          have you created a new connection among them ? this can help you to share their object. You can do it by going in control panel then Network connections. and follow the step.

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
            Thanks for the reply - it doesn't sound silly to me - but , perhaps , my next question will <g>

How do I re-boot the router ? I've never done that before .
            Simplest way is to pull the power plug, wait 30 sec to 1 min and re-connect!
            If it has a web interface there may be a reboot option, but introducing an air-gap is the quickest and easiest way

Do warn your users first, though!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sphinxradycal View Post
              hi,
              have you created a new connection among them ? this can help you to share their object. You can do it by going in control panel then Network connections. and follow the step.
              I'm not sure I fully understand what it is you suggest here.

In Network Connections on the dtop I have the present LAN setup on an icon named Local Area Connection 2 ( I can't remember why it was designated with the number 2 - it is too long ago !)

There is another icon named "Local Area Connection" and a third named "New Connection"

Are you suggesting I should , say , click on the "New Connection" and start and run the "New Connection Wizard " and then set up another identical connection to what exists in "Local Area Connection 2"?

Comment

Sounds like a home network is involved.

Reboot the router, either by pulling the power lead or by using the web interface (if it has one). As per Tom's suggestion.

Check you can ping both name and IP address from both machines.

Check your machines are using identical setting apart from the IP address. Ensure that they are using the DNS from the routers internal address. Most routers these days have caching DNS servers on board.

Check NetBIOS is enabled on the NIC and that Simple file sharing, Client for Microsoft Networks and file and print sharing is also on.

That should keep you busy for a bit lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  Sounds like a home network is involved.

Reboot the router, either by pulling the power lead or by using the web interface (if it has one). As per Tom's suggestion.

Check you can ping both name and IP address from both machines.

Check your machines are using identical setting apart from the IP address. Ensure that they are using the DNS from the routers internal address. Most routers these days have caching DNS servers on board.

Check NetBIOS is enabled on the NIC and that Simple file sharing, Client for Microsoft Networks and file and print sharing is also on.

That should keep you busy for a bit lol.
                  When you say "sounds like a homenetwork is involved" are you suggesting there may be interference from another neighbouring network ?

I've tried re-booting the router several times without effect.

I cannot ping BOTH name and IP from both machines - see my original post for details on this.

All settings are identical except for IP addresses but I'm not sure how to check the points you make regarding routers DNS . Could you explain how to do this in some detail,please ?

NETBIOS ....etc are all on.

Comment

Is the access point a router as well???

Is you network a home setup??

Are both machines connected to different sides of the wireless router?? A drawing would work wonders here.

My Network Places runs on NetBIOS and as such if the latop cannot see the dekstop then NetBIOS isn't working properly. Routers will not allow this traffic to pass through them as it is broadcast traffic.

What DNS server are you using on both machines??? Ideally you should be using the DNS server that is built into your modem. To check the DNS you need to browse to the web interface and check you network settings.

Comment

Is the access point a router as well???

Is you network a home setup??

I live at home where I tried to hookup my desktop and a wireless laptop in a LAN . If that is a definition of a "home setup" then yes this is a home setup

Are both machines connected to different sides of the wireless router?? A drawing would work wonders here.

I'm not very good at drawings but I've attached an attempt at one here . Hope it helps. The desktop is connected to one side of the Linksys router and the laptop is wirlessly linked to the router.

My Network Places runs on NetBIOS and as such if the latop cannot see the dekstop then NetBIOS isn't working properly. Routers will not allow this traffic to pass through them as it is broadcast traffic.

I have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on both machines.

What DNS server are you using on both machines??? Ideally you should be using the DNS server that is built into your modem. To check the DNS you need to browse to the web interface and check you network settings.
                      The DNS servers I have set are 194.125.2.241 & 240

Comment

Where do you have that set???

No drawing attached.

You still haven't answered if your AP is a router as well.
                        Last edited by wullieb1; 12th February 2010, 14:21.

Comment

Where do you have that set???

No drawing attached.

You still haven't answered if your AP is a router as well.
                          I apologise for my obtuseness here but I did try to send the drawing and am about to attempt this again - this is the first time I've attached a drawing here . I have read the FAQ on the subject and I thought by uploading the drawing that would be all I had to do - apparently not - here we go again!Sorry I'm afraid I got the message " this is not a valid image file" so there won't be a drawing this time either.
                          I had hoped that my description of the LAN as stated in my original post was detailed enough .

About the AP- the router is a wireless -equipped Linksys wrt54gs which connects the phone line by CAT 6 cable to the nic card in the desktop and thence , presumably connects to the WEB. It also connects the laptop wirelessly to the Web . Does this make it the AP ?

As to the question "Where do you have that set?" What do you mean by "that" ? Are you asking me here where I have my LAN set ? If so then I have it set up at home .

I hope this clears up your questions.

Comment

Save the drawing as a JPG file and attach to the post. Do NOT save it to a Word or PDF format, just a JPG will be fine.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Save the drawing as a JPG file and attach to the post. Do NOT save it to a Word or PDF format, just a JPG will be fine.
                              Thanks Biggles , the image was in the .jpg format. However I see now that there is an attachment icon on these posting pages - I had been following advice given in the FAQ which didn't mention such a simple method - they were on about uploading files ...etc.

I'll have another go although , as I said before , my attempt at an image may or may not be a help! I'm no artist !

Comment

Working...
                              X