Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network printer connectivity issues

Hi,

I have a wierd problem trying to connect a plotter to our network.

Our network has two switches, a dlink des-1024d and a 3com superstack 2. The switches are connected together. Most of our desktops are connected to the dlink and there are 3 systems and the plotter connected to the 3com switch. The plotter is a Teriostar lp-1010. All systems have windows XP except for the one 2003 and one 2008 server.

The odd thing is the systems connected to the 3com switch can ping the plotter and the rest of the network connected to the dlink switch just fine. But the systems that are connected to dlink switch cannot ping the plotter but can ping the systems that are connected to the 3com switch.

When the systems connected to the 3com switch ping the plotter a mac address of all zeros will be in the arp table. They can also print to the plotter. I have also connected the plotter directly to a computer with an ethernet cable and it will still give me a MAC address of all zeros. Printing will still also work.

The firmware on the printer has been updated and when I printout the config it will have a legitimate MAC address instead of all zeros.

So I am not sure what the problem could be. I'm not sure if the dlink is the problem or if it could be something else causing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by bmorency; 4th January 2010, 22:15. Reason: change title

Re: network printer connectivity issues

Do you have a Crossover or Staright through cable connecting the 2 switches?

The SuperCrap 2 switches were a piece of crap. I would suggest taking it fishing and not brining it back. I had a site with 4 SuperStack II and we had 5 replacements. Every other site had 50% failures. DOA units were not uncommon.

Anyway, back to your problem. The SuperStack II was a Managed Switch. Check to see if there are any settings that are stopping the Plotter from being "seen". Factory Default the Switch and start from the ground up or as I mentioned earlier, get a new switch. The 3Com was a 10/100 with on 1 or 2 x 100 ports depending on the model.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I found the documentation on the 3com site about this switch and it says it is unmanaged. So there isn't really anything to configure on the swtich right? The dlink is also an unmanaged. The 3com switch is a baseline 10/100 switch.

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too....a02/index.htm

Do you have any idea why I would be getting all zeros for the MAC address when going through the switch or directly connected to the plotter even though the plotter config has a proper MAC address?

I will have to double check to see if the switches are connected using a straight through or cross over.

edit: the two switches are connected using a straight through cable.
      Last edited by bmorency; 5th January 2010, 15:16. Reason: type of cable

Comment

Try using a proper crossover cable. If you buy one, they are nomally RED. Or, you could make your own. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etherne..._cable_pinouts Basically one end is an ETI 568A pinout and the other end is an ETI 568B pinout.

The 3Com is a very old switch and may not like the newer equipment. Try conneting it to the D-Link and see what happens, better still, toss the 3Com away and replace it (as previously suggested). A new 16 port switch can be purchased for AUD$70. 8 port for AUD$15.

Ping the IP of the plotter and then from the Command Prompt c:\>arp -a and see if the MAC address is displayed next to it's IP.

Does the plotter have a Static of Dynamic IP?
        Where are you getting the MAC zeros from?
        Last edited by biggles77; 5th January 2010, 19:33.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I will try to use a proper cross over cable and see how that works.

The plotter has a static IP address. I get the MAC zeros and it says it is dynamic from the arp table on the computers that can ping the plotter (that is connected to the 3com). By the way, when I connect a computer directly to the plotter using an ethernet cable (no switch in between)and check the arp table on the computer the MAC address is still zero . That's why I didn't think a switch is the problem.

I have also tried to connect the plotter to the Dlink switch and try to ping it from another computer that is also connected to the dlink it will not get a reply back. The 3com was disconnected from the rest of the network at the time.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Does anyone else have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Comment

Ping the IP of the plotter and then from the Command Prompt c:\>arp -a

Do the above and then screen capture the results (ALT + Print Screen the active Window). Paste into MSPaint (save as a JPG) and then attach to the post. I want to see the ARP table that says the Plotter has a Dynamic IP and 00-00-00-00-00-00 MAC.
              Last edited by biggles77; 7th January 2010, 00:38.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

could be a MAC address conflict.

Don't know how to flush what is cached on an unmanaged swich, but try,
                - unplug all network cables from the dlink des-1024d switch
                - connect the plotter (that has a static IP address) straight to the dlink des-1024d
                - connect your test pc (that has a static IP address) straight to the dlink des-1024d
                - Power down the dlink des-1024d switch
                - power down the plotter
                - Power down the test pc
                - Power up/on the dlink des-1024d switch
                - Power up/on the plotter
                - Power up/on the test pc

And now on the pc, from the Command Prompt:
                c:\>netsh interface ip delete arpcache
                c:\>Ping -a <IP of the plotter>
                c:\>arp -a
                Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Do the above and then screen capture the results (ALT + Print Screen the active Window). Paste into MSPaint (save as a JPG) and then attach to the post. I want to see the ARP table that says the Plotter has a Dynamic IP and 00-00-00-00-00-00 MAC.
                \Rems
                Last edited by Rems; 7th January 2010, 13:48.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Sorry I have not yet reset the dlink. I will have to try that later today when there are less people on the network but I did take a screenshot of me pinging the plotter from a computer that is also connected to the 3com switch with the plotter. There is also the arp table showing the MAC address. Just turning off the switch and than back on should flush the cache shouldn't it?

Do you also think it's a MAC conflict when I get all zeros when a computer is directly connected to the plotter and get all zeros for the MAC address?

I will report back when I have reset the dlink and tried the things you mentioned.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bmorency; 7th January 2010, 14:44.

Comment

Ok I have tried your steps but I used another switch that I found that we are not using. It is the dlink DSH-16.

The only things that are connected to the switch is the plotter and a laptop running windows XP.

I have posted a screenshot of me pinging the plotter and the arp table.

Let me know if this any help or if you want me to try anything else.

Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is there a setting in the Plotter setup/configuration that allows you to spoof/hide/mask the MAC address?
                      Is the Plotter setup/installed using an installation CD and you fill in the required parts or do you manually set it up via a control panel on the Plotter?
                      Does the Plotter have a Web Interface that allows you to make setting changes. eg. Open Internet Explorer, type: http://192.168.168.253 . If a logon screen appears, check the manual for a Username and Password (sorry, can't find the manual for this device). If it does have a web GUI then check for the MAC address. The MAC should be displayed when you print out a setup or configuration page.

ALT + Print Screen allows you to capture the ACTIVE window (that is the one you have clicked the mouse in or the window that has the dark blue title bar). This means we only get the info from the active windows and not part of your desktop or the programs that you are running in the System Tray. More importantly it reduces the size of the attached image and takes up less HDD capacity on the Forum Server.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It does have a web interface but I do not see any options to change the MAC address, I don't even see the MAC address listed anywhere. I have to print the configuration to see the value. In the web interface I can only change the ip address, subnet mask, gateway, dhcp (enable or disable), connection type (full or half duplex),connection speed ,http port, connection timeout, ftp data type (ascii or binary).

I setup the plotter using the control panel on the plotter. I do not have a software cd. I had to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

A few months ago I had a company in here that services these type of machines and they did not know what the issue was. They wanted to try to change the motherboard to see if that would work. We did not do that as it was expensive and they weren't sure if that would even fix it.

Comment

Did you follow the suggestions Rems made a couple of post up?
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            Did you follow the suggestions Rems made a couple of post up?

I did do those steps but not with the dlink that is currently in use. The current dlink is being used and I could not disconnect everyone. I found another dlink switch that is not currently being used and I connected only the plotter and a laptop to the switch as to make sure the MAC lookup table does not have any extra entries.

I posted the screenshot of the ping and the arp results. Using a switch not curently involved in the network should be sufficient for the results he was looking for? If not let me know.

I am starting to think it is possible it could be the plotter that is the issue.

Thanks
                            Last edited by bmorency; 7th January 2010, 22:37.

Comment

What is the make and model of the plotter?

Also, have you tried researching the fact that maybe the plotter has software that needs to be installed first before it can be seen on the network?
                              Last edited by Mudd; 8th January 2010, 03:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X