Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which to Use: Internet Connection Sharing or Network Bridging

Hi everyone,
    I'm not sure on which one of these two is best for my situation.

I have 2 clients and 1 Domain Controller (the DC manages this tiny network) connected to a router/firewall (the router is connected to the internet modem). My Domain Controller has two network cards - one connected to the above-mentioned router, and the other network card I've connected another client (please don't ask why I don't connect this client directly to the router )

I would like the client that is directly connected to the Domain Controller to:
    1) be part of the network
    2) get internet from the Domain Controller
    3) not cause any security/hacking risks to the Domain Controller

I think it can be done quickly via Network Bridging or Internet Connection Sharing, but I'm not sure which one of these two accomplishes what I described above.

PS: The Domain Controller does not have DHCP role installed, it is only doing Active Directory and DNS roles. Router is the one assigning IPs dynamically.

Assistance is greatly appreciated,
    Thank you
    Last edited by HotDay2222; 9th December 2009, 06:18. Reason: clarified

Re: Which to Use: Internet Connection Sharing or Network Bridging

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
    (please don't ask why I don't connect this client directly to the router )
    And why don't you connect directly to the router??

Seriously, a few things to consider.
    • Don't use any of the solutions in your thread title.
    • Disable the second NIC on the DC. It'll cause more hassle than it's worth it.
    • Either.disable the DHCP on the router and configure static IP (With only a couple of clients it shouldn't be a big task) or Disable the DHCP on the router and install it on the DC where you can configure the appropriate supported otpions.
    • On your DC DNS configure forwarders to your router

as for answering your questions
    1. If they have a IP config on the same subnet as the rest of the network and are joined to the same domain they are technicaly part of the network.
    2. Configure the clients to have the DC Dns as primary dns server.
    3. Risk will be minimised if configured as above, also consider having the DNS zone AD integrated if not already done so.
    Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Network Bridging = Internet Connection Sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
        Network Bridging = Internet Connection Sharing
        Network (Connection) Bridging ≠ Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

ICS does use the Network connection bridging feature but it doesn't mean it is the same.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

In other words, its a wizard to setup Network Bridging.

Comment

I think we probably better leave this as a Potato - Tomaeto thingie!
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

They're different, as you can bridge connections AND share them. Used to do it to get an old laptop online in a really odd way lol.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello there

So here is the situation you have a router connected to the external NIC of the DC(internet) and the another client connected to the Internal NIC of the DC. This is a copy book SBS Domain controller scenario.

What you are not realizing here is that, you are trying to join two different n/w's External and internal network and the only way to do that is using a Router.

don;t get confused, what you need to do here is configure your DC as a Router, which you can easily do by configuring Routing and remote access on the win2k3 Server.
                I know it is a bit confusing, so search Internet about SBS double NIC scenario's and that should clear all the doubts.

Hope it helps

Karan
                Pledgetechnologies
                Best Regards,
                Pledge Technologies

Comment

Originally posted by PledgeTechnologies View Post
                  What you are not realizing here is that, you are trying to join two different n/w's External and internal network and the only way to do that is using a Router.

don;t get confused, what you need to do here is configure your DC as a Router, which you can easily do by configuring Routing and remote access on the win2k3 Server.
                  I know it is a bit confusing, so search Internet about SBS double NIC
                  A router is not the only way, bridging would also work allbeit not the recommended config for a domain. Besides he's already got a router in place. why would he want to configure the DC as a router again .
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I've worked on this for weeks and I need some help to get it working (can't postpone it anymore, people need to use the PC).

(see attachment below) The network consists of clients (like Client A) and 1 server, all connected via the wireless router.

I've been trying to connect Client B directly to server via server's ethernet card ("2nd NIC").
                    Why not connect Client B to router? Because: 1) it's physically not possible (router is in tight corner); 2) Client B will share lots of data with server so it wouldn't work wirelessly. Going out and buying a wireless adapter for Client B would solve (1) but not (2), so I have to make it work this way.

Problem: Client B needs to have internet access, and not just be able to communicate with server. ICS is the only way I can think of.
                    I turn on ICS. Server's ethrnet connection becomes 200.200.200.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and everything else is blank.

I set Client B to get TCP/IP setting automatically, and it gets assigned IP 200.200.200.2. Then Client B works flawlessly - it gets internet from server, and users can access their redirected folders in server.

BUT, Client A stops working. When users log on at Client A, Desktop (one of the redirected folders and all other redirected folders for that matter) are not accessible. If I try to access server's folders via UNC, it doesn't connect and says it can't find it. However, I can ping server by name.

If I do not turn on ICS, and manually set the server's ethernet NIC to 200.200.200.1 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 and leave everything else blank (basically replicating the same TCP/IP settings that ICS did), and set Client B's TCP/IP setting to "Obtain Autmotically", then Client B can access the shared redirected folders but doesn't have internet access. And, more importantly, Client A then begins working and can access the redirected folders. It appears ICS does something more somewhere in the background.

Thus far my options are: Client B without internet and Clients A working properly, or Clients A can't access shared recources and Client B working properly - neither a good choice.

Any ideas, paths of though are greatly appreciated,
                    THanks
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by HotDay2222; 17th January 2010, 23:36.

Comment

I didn't read you whole post but try this.

On client B set a static ip of 192.168.16.2, mask 255.255.255.0, dg = 192.168.16.1, dns = 192.168.16.1

on server lan nic set a static ip 192.168.16.1, dg = router ip maybe 192.168.1.1, dns = 192.168.16.1.

Set server Wan nic auto ip.

Then turn on ICS on lan nic on server. ICS should do the routing for you. Ie route between the subnets.

Oh and remember a cross over cable for client b, i am sure you have this though.
                      Last edited by rams2; 18th January 2010, 00:09.

Comment

rams2,
                        I followed your instructions, but Client B is not able to connect to internet.

Are you sure I'm supposed to share LAN connection instead of Wireless connection, since it is through the wireless that server is getting internet?

I tried all sorts of different arrangements of DNS IPs and gateways, but they all have one thing in common...if ICS is enabled, shared redirected folders can't be found.

Thanks for help

Comment

Hold on, strangly enough i had this extact setup a couple of weeks ago using server 2003 and my laptop, i didn't spend long on it so kinda of a bit vague but will setup it up again later on to test.

Comment

Would this be made easier if I installed DHCP server role?

A google article on multiple NICs seemed to suggest that it might be easier if I let the first NIC (the one connected to router) obtain IP address from router, while the 2nd NIC (the Ethernet connected to client B) should be used to create a new scope in DHCP.

I'm new to all this, if someone can give me some info or a link to how I can go about all this it would be great.

Thank you to everyone for your ideas.

Comment

Forgot about this. I didn't read it properly last time.

Enable dhcp on the router.
                              Remove scope / disable dhcp on the server.

Make sure you have the LAN and WAN adapters named correct on the server, double check this.

Use a cross over cable, not straight through, on client B --> server

Set

Server LAN nic - IP 192.168.16.2, mask =255.255.255.0 leave the dg and dns blank
                              Client B IP 192.168.16.3 mask 255.255.255.0 DG 192.168.16.2 dns 192.168.16.2 only add one dns.

Run ICS again on the servers WAN nic, this should fill is any missing values like DG and dns.

Run an ipconfig /flushdns on all machines.

Might need to reboot the server or clients.

You may need to delete your dns zones on the server and set it up again i think that is where the problem is.
                              Last edited by rams2; 23rd January 2010, 21:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X