Personal Spamming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Spamming

Presumably most servers must now have a way of watching for the use of multiple identical email messages sent to several addresses, as a way of identifying spam. So does anyone know if this would affect me sending the same message to several members of a club each month reminding them of a meeting in a few days, using Outlook Express. If so what is the limit likely to be of the number of these messages allowed at any one time? I use the Orange server.

Re: Personal Spamming

How many people are on the list? Often more than not your ISP will have a mass outbound limit, or at least a number that if you pass, you'll be considered a business mailer and they'll STRONGLY advise to pay more for a business connection.

Alternate way is to have them subscribe to an RSS feed (blog / twitter / FB, etc), so they're pulling the info versus you pushing the info and looking like a spammer.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. The twit who suggested I notify members by email of the next meeting each month originally suggested all 80 members, but I talked some sense into him to limit it to those who actually ask, So at present I do not know how many will be involved.

Anyone interested can visit our club site using the services free to all those affiliated to the RSGB at

http://www.radioclubs.net/herc/

Comment

Four DLs of 20 members each should not pose a problem.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks. Someone else suggested that, but my attitude is why should I go to all that trouble when the diary of meetings is shown on two sites and in our monthy magazine. Besides I suspect someone would complain of getting more spam from me every month.

I am waiting for a reply from Orange, but surely their Spam monitoring will look at ALL mail being sent for several hours, irrrespective of what batch it is in.

Comment

You said it above Gordon, get a list of those who want to be remnded by email. Remember also that it is only Spam if it is unwanted. One man's junk mail is another man's supermarket specials list.

Also, there really is no work involved. If you are using Outlook you can setup the emails to send and put a date and time to send them. Do the whole year in less than 5 minutes and if a date gets changed the email can be modified while it is sitting in the Outbox.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks B. I must admit I rarely use the address book of Outlook Express, which has been known to be hacked for spamming. Although no doubt my Avast antivirus would prevent that. This is why sometime ago I concocted my own button address book program of both email and site addresses anyone can have a Freeware copy from http://www.sigord.co.uk/Submits/Software.htm

I doubt any hacker would fathom out the name of the file holding the addresses. I will have to work out how to set a date for the reminders because we have to book the meetings months in advance.

Comment

Working...
              X