Pc-Mac network....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc-Mac network....

Hi all, (mods - please move if not in right forum).

I'd appreciate any feedback on my network plan (attached).

Basically i'm trying to save my friend some money.
    The PC that will act as a file server in the plan is a Dell Optiplex with core2duo. I'll add more ram and install Server 2003 on it. It will really only serve files. The macs are the main workstations (for graphic design) and will be working on files directly on the server across the gigabit lan via a ProCurve gigabit switch.
    I'm just wondering whether there'll be any cross-platform issues with samba shares etc. and indeed what i'd have to do different for the macs to see shares correctly?
    I've not really networked pc and mac together before so can i expect them to work without too many issues? Macs are all 10.5.8 and client pc's are XP and vista.
    The server will not be used for DHCP, DNS or Printing tasks, the clients will be manually assigned.
    I will take advantage of VSS though, and as you can see the data will be backed up daily onto an external hdd which will be taken off-site. This will give 3 days of FULL data backups (more externals can be added if need be). VSS will be used for the times when someone accidentally overwrites something they did earlier.
    Client was concerned about backing up the macs, but if the data resides on the server, then only applications will be resident on the macs. I'm sure i can image those on an ad-hoc basis using his Retrospect software.
    The HTTPS webserver is for secure login to the server to access files from home if need be. It also serves as a forum-type gui so he can supply user accounts to his clients who can login and up/download files to/from him when needed (i.,e. when mailservers can't handle such big files).

My biggest concern is that there may be for example 3 users all working on different photoshop files on the server that could be up to 1gb in size. Is this likely to cause bottlenecks? I guess in these extreme cases they could copy it to their workstation then copy it back when finished with.

Any and all comments are welcome. I'd like to get this right for him as its his business.
    Thanks for any advice offered.
    Attached Files

Re: Pc-Mac network....

If you are installing AD don't use the .local suffix for the domain. Macs use this suffix internally and it causes all manner of weird DNS issues.

I would install DNS, DHCP etc on the server though - it's a lot easier to maintain and much more scalable.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hmmm.....got no real intentions of installing AD, its basically going to be a workgroup fileserver.

Will consider DNS and DHCP though, i do agree it would make things easier, but his existing network of macs and a pc work ok as they are, so i'm trying to keep the changes to a minimum.

Thanks.
      What about macs accessing server shares? Any possible issues there, ie. naming conventions, permissions etc?

Also, without making it a TS can i still log into it via RDP?
      I built a small network (domain though). The server wasn't configured as a TS but it allowed me to RDP into it when i typed the IP address in.
      So with that in mind could i log into the server from home (once firewall configure correctly)?
      Last edited by k.jacko; 19th November 2009, 17:03.

Comment

RDP for Remote Administration is available on Server 2003, 2 connections max at a time.

The only problems I've seen with Macs accessing Windows shares are DNS related, from the .local suffix being used that I mentioned before. However I only worked in a mixed environment for 6 months or so a few years ago, so I'm sure there will be others with more experience than me.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ok, having a slight brainf*rt here. Do i need to create a domain to be able to use dns and dhcp?
          I wouldn't have thought so for dhcp, but for dns?

Comment

Not needed for either
            Obviously you will lose the security aspects of AD integrated DNS and it would probably be best for the DHCP server to update DNS on behalf of clients but you will find it works OK
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks,
              oh, forgot to mention, there will be a CRM application installed on each client machine (mac and pc) and the database will reside on the server.
              Again, can anyone foresee any issues with multiple platform clients accessing it at the same time?

Comment

Thats one for the vendor of the CRM app, I think....
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Reviving this thread, as i was installing/configuring yesterday......and what a ball ache it is/was.

Running Leopard 10.5.8, they just don't seem to like joining a Server 2008 Foundation edition AD domain.

Do macs even understand a UNC path? their network paths use // instead of \\

I'm going to have to use the server purely for serving files and thats it. No DNS or DHCP as the crapy BT Homehub doesn't like it if you disable it for some reason.

Any more help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

sure: connect to folder (or was it server... my mac just died) and use smb://server/share or afp://server/share
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                      sure: connect to folder (or was it server... my mac just died) and use smb://server/share or afp://server/share
                      Yep, done that, and yes the macs can get to the share.
                      Sorry, sdhould have mentioned....
                      ...each user has a personal folder on the server which needs to remain 'personal and private'. But assigning security permissions to the folder (from the server) has no effect when browsing over from a mac, the mac can still see and access the folder. If i browse from a laptop on the network then the security correctly applied and 'access is denied' to that share.

As i mentioned i cannot get the macs to bind to AD, but when first logging on to the share on the server i input AD user credentials and it allows access.
                      I just wonder why, when connecting to the share from a mac using AD credentials does it not apply the relevent permissions that are attached to that specific user account?

Comment

Working...
                      X