Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which type of internet connection is most used in corporate world?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which type of internet connection is most used in corporate world?

I would like to know the most used internet connection ( DSL, Cable, ISDN....etc ) in the corporate world and advantages and disadvantages of diff internet connections.

Thank you.

Re: Which type of internet connection is most used in corporate world?

Kind of an open-ended question there......

For us its a 2mbit dedicated leased line and a 10mbit cable modem connection. This was necessitated as our adsl connection could only ever give us 512kbps (.5mbit) at best, and that was to server 50 users!

I would imagine most medium+ sized companies would use dedicated lease line. But in the UK espeically, it depends on your geographical location as to what is available. We are pretty much behind most other countries when it comes to broadband connectivity.

What narks me is our 2mbit leased line costs 485/month and gives me a down/upload speed of approx. 240KBps. Yet our 10mbit cable modem costs 50/month and i can download at 1.1MBps and upload at 256KBps. It may be contended but we never suffer from it. We had it installed as they were already digging the trench to lay the fibre for our 2mbit line. They wouldn't have just installed that and NOT the leased line.

Comment

It also depends what you will be using the connection for. If you have lots of downloads then an ADSL2+ may be the best option, especially if your ISP supports Annex M.

Come back with what sort of use the connection will get and you may get a more comprehensive response to your question.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Very difficult question to summarize all types of connections.
        Usually corporations use leased lines for their production network especially when they use central server (not replicated) for their ERP systems. Along with the leased lines there are another leased lines, ISDN, xDSL or other backup solutions. Sometimes maybe you can use different type of connections for the branch offices depending on different circumstances and/or the budget.
        This is generally a network design question and for each corporation needs and budget this is different.
        Big corporate organizations usually rely on leased lines with SLA for their HQ and big branches (if there is infrastructure for this type of connection ).

Comment

A lot depends on what is available (typically on where the site is) and how many users the site supports, as well as the costs involved.
          For example, I manage sites with:
          Leased lines
          ADSL (single or bonded)
          SDSL
          Satellite (ADSL available but capped at 128Kbit)
          Point to Point Wireless (effectively a leased line)
          Mobile "Broadband" (no fixed infrastructure available for the next few years -- including electricity and water!)
          Dial up (one very remote site, thankfully with only a few users)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I have read in many articles that the max speed that we can get with dial up connection is 56 Kbps but, my neighbour is getting 256 kbps from a telecom company .
            Is there any technique behind that? I have read in wikipedia that we can achieve more than 56 kbps using compression techniques like v.44.

Comment

I don't know how the dialup modem can handle that since it is effectively restricted to 52K (at least where I am) and NOT the 56K as commonly used in advertising and conversation.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes you can achieve higher speed if you are transferring clear text. But these compression techniques will not help you very much if you are transferring already compressed data like pictures(e.g. JPEG). With ISDN you can get more bandwidth than with analog line and better quality as the modulation of analog modem sometimes is not very good because of the quality of the line.

Comment

My friend has provided the wrong information that he is using Dial Up connection.
                  I has checked his connection today. It is DSL over twisted pair, not Dial Up.
                  Sorry for the mistake.

Please check the following link which describes achieving more than 56 Kbps, I am not sure about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial_up..._to_exceed_56k

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Working...
                  X