Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to test if Secondary DNS takes over when Primary DNS goes down.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to test if Secondary DNS takes over when Primary DNS goes down.

Got a similar situation myself. My company performs it's authoratative queries locally, but non-authoratative queries are passed to forwarders at another site.

From what I understand is that if the primary forwarder goes down, it should query the secondary forwarder that you have specified, then if the secondary was to go down too, it queries the root hints.

What I'd like to know is, is there any way of testing that the secondary will work if the primary goes down using a tool such as dig? Is that possible? (The obvious test is to down the primary forwarder at the remote site, but management there won't allow that).

Re: How to test if Secondary DNS takes over when Primary DNS goes down.

Oops, don't know why this is here as a new thread, I hit the reply button on another thread.

Comment

Was for this thread:
      http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=40956

Comment

Originally posted by Burpy View Post
        Oops, don't know why this is here as a new thread, I hit the reply button on another thread.
        I would guess one of the mods has split this thread off to avoid hijacking the original thread.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

you could create a temporary firewall rule preventing access to the dns server.. that way, users at the other site still get to access their dns server, but you acheive your result.

of course - you would do this out of hours..

you could also try swinging it with the management saying "look.. we can do this out of hours, and have a 15 minute outage, or we copuld just wait and see what happens if a real issue occurs"
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X