No announcement yet.

Remote Desktop via SSH and error message

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop via SSH and error message

I tried to configure SSH server (let us call this PC : Server PC) and putty (let us call this PC: Client PC) exactly as described in the link above (step by step).

I have got two PC with XP Profe OS,,,,one PC (Where SSH server is installed) is on cable modem and other PC (where PUTTY is installed ) is on dialup.

I was able to establish a SSH Tunnel but I could not access RDP,,,,I do not know where was the problem.

Port forwarding is okay no problem otherwise I would not be able to establish SSH tunned

from PC where PUTTY is installed (let us call it Client PC) when I tried to type in the ip address (for the PC where SSH server is installed let us call it Server PC) with source port number (for Client PC) I received the below error message :

Any idea what troubleshoot should I perform ?

Re: Remote Desktop via SSH and error message

What port forwarding rules did you use on your router?

In putty you can configure SSH tunneling.
      See this for example:
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

I too am running XP on the client had to do this last week, and found out that tunneling 'localhost:3389' did not work. After a quick search I came across the following page:

The magic step is step 3 - for XP, you have to forward '' (yes that's .2), and then in the RDC dialog box you have to enter '' as the address.