Trouble Accessing Shared Folders over LAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Accessing Shared Folders over LAN

I have a LAN set up with a D-Link DI-624 router. I use it to access folders on my desktop from my laptop in the same room, and to do file transfers between them; nothing fancy.

This worked fine for the longest time until, one day, I could no longer access the desktop machine from the laptop. I don't believe that I have changed anything, but clearly something has happened.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 8.0.0.506 on both machines and have the network set to "Trusted." Disabling Kaspersky on both machines does not resolve the problem. I have no other firewalls or protection running that I am aware of. The desktop is running XP SP3 and the laptop Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1.

To be precise, here are some screens:

As you can see, the desktop machine ("JOSH-DESKTOP") shows up when I go to the network folder on my laptop.

When I try to access it, however, it tells me that it can't find the resource.

And again.

How can it see the machine exists if it doesn't know the path? More importantly, why can I not access the machine all of the sudden?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by XeonXT; 3rd November 2009, 05:52.

Re: Trouble Accessing Shared Folders over LAN

You can try these advanced troubleshooting methods to drill down to what's causing thaat error: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/950093
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Start by cutting out the middle man - network browsing. Windows' network browsing has always been slow and painful. Instead, connect to the other PC directly by it's IP Address (to get the IP, start - run - ipconfig). Try to browse directly to the other PC (eg. start - run - \\192.168.0.101). This will cut out all of the issues surrounding possible slow and troublesome browsing/discovery.

That said, you can more quickly get to the root of the problem. Start with simple pings, and the work up from there. Disable both Kapersky and Windows' Firewall and then see if you can connect. If everything works fine when you go direct to IP addresses, then it's just a browsing/discovery issue. If you can't connect to the PC directly by it's IP, then it's likely a firewall or sharing issue. If you can't even ping the other PC, then (assuming it's not a firewall issue) you've got more fundamental issues. But if both PC's can access the internet, the basic network is likely working fine.

Comment

Scottyyyc, accessing the desktop directly via IP worked perfectly. Must be Windows. At any rate, this method will work equally well.

Thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
        X