No announcement yet.

Text to landline Phones

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text to landline Phones

My son claims it is possible to sent Text Messages to a landline phone, the same way as Mobiles. He claims though you cannot read the text with no LSD screen, BT uses a system similar to Windows Narrator to speak the message. He is most disappointed my phone failed to speak a message he sent.

Anyone heard of such for landline phones, if so do you need a special phone, or do you have to pay BT even more for the service.

Re: Text to landline Phones

I've heard of it and had text messages read to me. It's very surreal. It was a BT line and I'm pretty sure there was nothing special about, I don't recall ever being given an option for anything like this and it wasn't any kind of fancy phone.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Thanks. Perhaps it does not like my 20+ year old phone.

I did get a warning message I could stop being pestered by such calls and was allowed to delete it like an ordinary sound message except I could not hear the message.

I like the idea of an LSD screen

Look here for more info:,350,993
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks but still a bit baffling as to why I could not hear anything.

Yeah, Virgin also offers this nice but useless feature. The only good thing about it is that my handset allows me to send SMS as well as SIM card reader.. and I am not on LSD either.. what time is it???
            What are they trying to do?? unify landlines and mobiles .... and other stuff.

wow my phone is better that yours

..... deep breath, relax..
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

I sent one of these crazy text messages to my landline phone as a test. I must admit I did not listen carefully to the announcement when I was able to press 1571 ( UK ) to try to hear the speaking of the message the first time. I thought it was telling me to phone a number to stop being pestered by such messages, but in fact it tells me to phone a number to be able to hear them at all. However I am wary of giving BT the chance to charge me yet more over and above the charge for the 1571 service, or of the facilities upsetting my already rather fragile Broadband.

Also when I switched on my Virgin connected mobile ( a rare event for me ) I was asked to phone a number then enter a username. As usual with these nerd instructions, it did not explain why, but I dutifully obliged.

Of course if the nerds who dream up these daft ideas had any sense, they would arrange for the service to actually dial a number the usual way, then when answered announce it about to speak a message, before doing so. Just leaving it locked in among answer phone messages could result in someone not hearing it for weeks if they do not use phone.