Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003, RRAS problem receiving email from external addresses

Hi,

On Friday (and I know I am going to get flamed for this ...I have already many times!) I installed ISA server 2006 without planning it's deployment 100%. It was a foolish thing to do but what's done is done!

Anyway, after I installed ISA serevr onto our gateway machine I added some appropriate rules but unfortunately ran out of time to finish the config (that will have to be a weekend job). To allow users internet access when they came to work I decided to uninstall ISA server. In doing so I realised it had completeky taken down and disabled RRAS (something that if I had planned I would have realised it would do!)

Since our gateway serves as a router for the internal network and RRAS had been disabled, nobody in our company could access the internet. Anyway I reconfigured RRAS, tested it and all seemed to be fine! (internet access was restored)

....Monday Morning....

It appears now that people in our company are not able to receive email from external email address (internal mail works fine). They can send to external mailboxes but just not receive from them.

I am almost positive this is a DNS issue but I have looked and looked and looked and I am stumped! I tried to telnet to our external mail server on port 25 and I got an error 'could not open a connection to host on port 25 Connect failed'

I would really appreciate some help on this one guys.

Thanks and if I have neglected to mention anything, just shout

Dave

Re: Server 2003, RRAS problem receiving email from external addresses

Obvious thing (and I'm NOT an ISA expert) is to check you have a rule allowing incoming SMTP (Port 25) traffic to your mail server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I would immediately do that but, believe it or not, I have not really had much experience with RRAS. I cant see any obious way in the RRAS console to set up such a rule.

Comment

Sorry, I thought you were still in ISA
        Do any of these help:
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot for this. To avoid further user aggrevation I restored the registry from wednesday nights backup. Nowi'll go compare a dump of the incorrect RRAS values with the correct ones and work out what I was doing wrong ...thanks once gain for your help, and can I say now that I will NEVER attempt another software deployment without first PLANNiNG

thanks again

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbeast121 View Post
            and can I say now that I will NEVER attempt another software deployment without first PLANNiNG
            Until the next time...
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X