No announcement yet.

linksys wrt54g2 router config prob

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linksys wrt54g2 router config prob

hi all,

I trying to configure LINKSYS WRT54G2 router. ISP is given me a static ip address. that i configured with router.

but i am unable to ping ISP's gateway

i think there is issue in windows vista home basic.
    can any one have any idea about this

any update i need to uply on vista system..........???
    Last edited by swapneel; 20th October 2009, 06:05. Reason: spell

Re: linksys wrt54g2 router config prob

How have you configured the interfaces from the router.
    I'll move this thread btw to general networking since Linksys is not Cisco but it's a sub-company from cisco.
    Technical Consultant

"No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

what sort of internet connection do you have ?
      wrt54G is only a router - it doesn't have an ADSL tail or anything.. you need an ADSL device if you're using ADSL.

unless you're just using a standard ethernet port, and your internet connection is delivered via ethernet to that port ?

Have you asked yourISP for assistance ?

also - try using the diagnostics on the router configuration pages, rather than vista. That way, you can exclude vista from the issue.
      Last edited by tehcamel; 25th October 2009, 01:10.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

There is also no guarantee that a ping to your ISP's server would succeed anyway. Many servers on the internet do not respond to ping as a security measure.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        Cruachan's Blog

If you have standard not dd-wrt web interface of the router you can go to "Administration" -> "Diagnostics" and there choose ping from the router and check the connectivity from the router to the desired host. As cruachan said it is possible that the ping will not be successful because of the security restrictions.

How have you configured the interfaces from the router.

this router has 1 (yellow colour) port which has mention as Internet. other 4 port works as switch/hub .

in Internet port i have conected Ethernet cable which has come from ISP. and my desktop pc is coneted with other port.

in the menu of Router have selected Static Ip & and mentioned ip address as given by ISP

my pc ping req goes to that static ip address but not to default (ISP's) gateway.

yes i have taken help from LINKSYS tem as well as ISP team.

LINKSYS said"you have to register MAC address with ISP"

ISP said "first you get the ping from our gateway "

When i have conected isp ethernet cable with directly with my desktop its WORKING....!

Even though you have a Static IP from your ISP, set the router up as if you have a Dynamic IP. This way all the ISP settings should be supply "dynamically" by your ISP. This includes IP, Default Gateway and DNS.
              Departed: 23rd December 2015

You should enter the gateway in the field below the static ip address and the subnet mask where there is "gateway" ip on your router's web interface. After this you should clone your PC mac address just in case your ISP security needs this (and maybe it is doing so). This is an option in the "Setup" > "MAC Address Clone" then choose "Clone Your PC’s MAC" after this click "Save settings" this will clone your PC mac address so do this from the PC which is tested and working with your ISP. Next try to ping the gateway as I have mentioned in my previous post on this thread.