No announcement yet.

MPLS WAN issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPLS WAN issue

Hello All,

I've got a weird issue that I'm struggling to trouble shoot so hoping someone here could point me in the right direction??

The company I work for has two sites both on the same subnet connected via a 10MB MPLS. Site one is head office and has all the main servers and the internet connection (again a 10MB connection to the net), all traffic from site two goes through the WAN so for example to view this website on site two the traffic is routed through to a proxy on site one via the MPLS and then out the proxy to the "real" (not the matrix) world.

Site two consists of around 150 users mostly using the internet (including Java apps) and programs that rely on SQL back-ends in Site one.

Now here's the problem Site two during the day intermittently suffers from massive slow downs, i.e. the internet slows down, file transfer between sites slows down and obviously the programs relying on SQL slow down. Now my first thought is the WAN, so I've set-up a monitoring tool today to try and monitor WAN utilisation (graphically), I expect at some point today the WAN utilization to shoot up but what on earth can I do to find out what's causing it? is there some kind of program to specifically show where the traffic is coming from and going too etc?? I'm a little stumped at what my next step can be?? Any help would be really appreciated?

Re: MPLS WAN issue

Link a hub between the MPLS and Network2, install Wireshark to a PC and connect it to the hub.

you will have to graphically monitor the Through-put for a few days to see if there is any consistancy in the slow downs, i use tools like cacti and MRTG using snmp.

here is a basic guide to wireshark.

maybe you have some better tools in your arsenal like solarwinds.

Im affraid its one of those fault finding issues, there is always a rational explanation.

Good Luck.
    MCSE 2003; MCTS Vista; Sec+; CCNA
    Attitude Makes The Difference!
    in other words you got to WANT to do it..