Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with HP network printer and IPv6

Hi
    I am having a problem connecting a HP 2025n networkprinter on Windows Server 2003 R2.
    The printer works fine if it's only connected in it's own network or via crossover cabel but the momnet i try to connect to company's network
    it stops to respond to ping's. What i have checked so far is:
    * reset the printer
    * tried different IP addresses
    * checked for ip duplicates or MAC duplicates on network
    * changed the network cables
    * changed the switch and restarted it
    * used a network packet sniffing tool and discovered something odd in the network, there is a IPv6 multicasts from the same MAC address
    as this HP printer even when I disconnect the printer. How is that possible?
    I double checked and there are no devices on the network with same MAC address. We have one Windows Server 2003 and all XP clients in our network. No clients or server has the IPv6 installed.

Re: Issue with HP network printer and IPv6

No suggestions?

Comment

Give it an IP by using a DHCP Reservation. That way DHCP handles the IP and you get a Static IP at the same time. All you need is the MAC address of the printer.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We have 10 of these printers on one of our client's networks and have never had an issue. However, I always assign a static IP via the Printer interface (not web interface) and disable multicast.

What are you using to install the printer on the server? If you are using the software it comes with, it will detect the MAC address and map the printer that way. I tend to install manually using the IP address.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          We have 10 of these printers on one of our client's networks and have never had an issue. However, I always assign a static IP via the Printer interface (not web interface) and disable multicast.

What are you using to install the printer on the server? If you are using the software it comes with, it will detect the MAC address and map the printer that way. I tend to install manually using the IP address.
          I always assign the IP via the printer interface.
          Ho do I disable multicast?

Comment

Working...
          X