SOA and NS Record Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOA and NS Record Changes

When I change any DNS record other than my SOA or NS, I know that the only factor that affects availability to those resources is the TTL, as DNS records don't propogate (as in the popular myth that they do). I know that only my DNS servers have a copy of my DNS zone and that the heiarchy goes like this:

1. The root hint servers know which gTLD name servers are responsible for my gTLD, which is .com.

2. The .com gTLD servers know which name servers are responsible for my DNS zones, based on the SOA and NS records.

3. The name servers for my DNS zones hold the only copy of my DNS zones.

So what happens when I change my NS or SOA records. How do those changes make it back up to the gTLD servers?

Re: SOA and NS Record Changes

we use a hosting companycalled Web24 - well, we just moved over to them anyway.

we transferred the domain, so they hosted the domain and stuff, then I had a button that said "syncronise name server records with Registrar"

basically, what that did, was propagate the NS and SOA records up to the registrar (MelbourneIT in this instance)

then everyone else saw it almost immediately. so basically, we propagated the record up to a TLD/gtld - reverse propagation..

if I was to add an NS record now, it would simply be added to the zone but not pushed up to the registrar.

Have I helped at all.. ? or told you what you already knew ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks. I'm just wondering how it works when there's no "synchronize" tool available to the domain owner. Do the gTLD servers push their changes to the root servers on a regular schedule?

Comment

can't tell you more than that sorry.... I'd say it's to do with the registrar though.

normally i've found that stuff has been handled by the company that hosts the dns
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          So what happens when I change my NS or SOA records. How do those changes make it back up to the gTLD servers?
          I don't think it does. The NS record is obviously stored in your DNS zone.
          Any queries on the Top-level domain ( i.e..com) regarding your name servers are usually iterative and the NS record stored on their zone is created and updated by the registrar as Tehcamel said.
          The referral then is based on those records.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X