Email failures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email failures

Some time ago many of us using Orange Broadband who were having difficulties in using their email especially outgoing were advised to change the POP3 setting smtp.wanadoo.co.uk to just 193.252.22.138 which I understand is the same as the wanadoo address. Yesterday it appears many of us were again seeing the warning notice the outgoing mail was failing to recognise the wanadoo address, so someone discovered the advice was to use exactly smtp.oragehome.co.uk. This worked for a short while yesterday, before I experienced a warning notice that orangehome was now not being recognised, so I had to revert back to just 193.252.22.138.

Since I know others living nearby using Orange have not experienced these problems, could it be just unfortunate that I and some others have certain equipment or software such as an anti-virus, that at times is incompatible with Orange Broadband. I am still suing a Speedtouch USB connected modem originally supplied by Wanadoo, as I have no need for a Wireless Router since I only use one PC. Also is this sort of problem common among many servers.

Re: Email failures

Gordon,
    Why not think about using googlemail or similar - distance yourself totally from Freeserve/Wannadoo/Orange/whatever they'll call themselves next week
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I quite agree and I am advising friends as others have done even if their contract with Orange has not expired, if necessary to enlist the help of a Local Trading Standards Office or Ofcom to force Orange to provide the necessary MAC number to change server, on the grounds Orange are not providing a satisfactory service.

Unfortunately if I change server I would not be able to service
      http://www.g4cus.freeserve.co.uk/ using web space allocated to a friend, although I can transfer all the pages to my site. Also there are a couple of sites who refuse to change my email address from fsnet to a more trustworthy Yahoo one.

But it would be interested to see if anyone can explain why some but not all of us have these email problems.

Comment

I wasn't talking about dropping Orange broadband (although that is an option and you should be able to get a mac code), just about changing your email adress -- which I do not think the ISP can contol
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I already have an extra Yahoo address the only one I try to use on various sites like my own and those hosting my Freeware. It is far safer for blocking spam then the fsnet address. I expect you are aware old fsnet etc addresses unlike most servers are NOT individual one off addresses. But in fact though an address might be say [email protected] in fact [email protected] will be received, thus a godsend for spammers able to dump numerous copies of the rubbish onto us.

What is worse while the world Internet system obviously recognises individual addresses, it does not recognise the possible millions of alternative address. This means unless you insert say a block on the word undelivered at the Orange webmail site, you are liable at time to be inundated with hundreds of returned spam purporting to have been sent on your behalf. Since you are also obliged to opt for all this spam to be automatically deleted, you then have the problem of never being notified if a genuine email gets undelivered.

I did ask Orange some time ago to be given a sensible email address like [email protected] and the fsnet one cancelled. But they claimed it was impossible due to the link with the similar username for the Broadband

Comment

Working...
          X