Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup VPN for FVS318V3 with WAN port on a privet ip address

Hi

Internet WAN port for Netgear VPN Firewall FVS318V3 is connected to LAN port for Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG.

LAN IP address for Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG is static address 10.10.0.1/24,,,and WAN ip address is dynamic by ISP.

and DHCP is on for the range 10.10.0.30 to 10.10.0.150,,,,,,,,

Internet port (not LAN ports) IP address for Netgear VPN Firewall FVS318V3 is static address :
    10.10.0.20/24
    Obviously gateway would be 10.10.0.1

LAN IP address for Netgear VPN Firewall FVS318V3 is 192.168.0.1/24

And DHCP is on for the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.150

I have got no problem to surfing the net (i.e scenario above is working without any problem), but I am planning to setup a VPN ,,,,,

Which public ip address should I use if want to setup the VPN ?

If I use the dynamic WAN ip address (or DyDNS.com) for the Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG, do I need to NAT that to the 10.10.0.20/24 ? ?

Thanks

Re: Setup VPN for FVS318V3 with WAN port on a privet ip address

Use the public IP address and forward the necessary ports to the FVS318.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Use the public IP address and forward the necessary ports to the FVS318.
      I do not have such an option on the Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG.

Comment

It doesn't have port forwarding? Everything I've just found in 2 minutes of Googling says it does...
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I've just found in 2 minutes of Googling says it does...
          I know there is such an option on FVS318V3
          But my below quote says Netgear Wireless cable Modem CG814WG.,not FVS318V3
          http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=202659
          Therefore the 2 mintues optiosns that you have spent is for FVS318V3 not for CG814WG.

Comment

Nope. "CG814WG port forward" -> Google. Definately not FVS318.

My point was in reply to your post in which you clearly pointed out which router you didn't think had this option.

Originally posted by zillah
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Nope. "CG814WG port forward" -> Google.
              Again this is an ISP firmware version not a normal Netgear firmware version ,,,,therefore googling does not show you modified version

Comment

Settle down or the thread shall be closed.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by zillah View Post
                  Again this is an ISP firmware version not a normal Netgear firmware version ,,,,therefore googling does not show you modified version
                  Unfortunately all our psychic powers must have been off -- I don't see that mentioned anywhere before in your posts, so please do not criticise a member who is trying to help you based on the (incomplete) information you gave.
                  The link you posted does mention ISP modified modems -- have you followed the advice there and contacted the (unknown) ISP?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Settle down or the thread shall be closed.
                    As a moderator you should refrain yourself form threatening posters, I did not breach the forum rolls to close the thread.

When I do that you have the right to close the thread.

I did not criticize the helper.
                    Last edited by zillah; 12th September 2009, 07:44.

Comment

There is one key rule in this board -- you do NOT argue with the owner or one of his chosen disciples (Admins or Moderators)
                      Official warning issued
                      Any complaints should be by PM -- public posts here that are not on topic WILL result in a ban

Just the usual reminder, all participants here give up their free time to help out. If someone is not happy with the help they get, PAY a consultant or use a support contract
                      Last edited by biggles77; 12th September 2009, 14:24. Reason: Correct minor error
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In the meanwhile I'm a bit lost...
                        TS: can you explain a bit more about your situation?
                        Maybe you can create a small and simple drawing (even Paint can help you with this ) to explain a bi more?
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                        X