Web Site Addresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Site Addresses

Normally I find it does not matter whether you include the www part in a site address, the same site will display. But look what happens with the two addresses below. How is it achieved here, or is someone breaking some rules? I understand it is being done to show a temporary site while the real site is slowly being revamped.

http://herc.uk.net/

http://www.herc.uk.net/

Re: Web Site Addresses

It does matter. Both addresses have their own DNS record. In the cases where www.domain.com and domain.com both point to the same website, then both DNS records point to the same IP address (or one is a CNAME of the other).

Try pinging those two addresses and see what you get

Also note that even if both point to the same IP address, you can use name-based virtual hosting to host multiple different websites on the same server.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If there's a domain A record that points to the same ip address as the web server/site, then you can type website.com or www.website.com and both will work.

If there isn't a domain A record that points to the same ip address as the web server/site, then you can't.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Forgive my ignorance So is it likely I could make a similar arrangement for my site at http://www.sigord.co.uk/ hosted by Streamlinenet to show two different sites? Becuase with my simple requirements I have still only used up abot half of the 560odd Mb available to me?

Comment

Assuming your host supports it, you can have one website at sigord.co.uk, another at www.sigord.co.uk, another at someother.sigord.co.uk... etc

It might also be possible to have something like uk.sigord.co.uk and sales.uk.sigord.co.uk - again if your host supports it.

This is the same way that you can go to www.google.com or google.com (which in the case of Google just redirects to www.google.com) and get their search page, or maps.google.com for Google Maps, or...
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks something to bare in mind.

Comment

Working...
            X