Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Query

Hi

Not a total expert on switches but here is my problem...

Linking too switches together and cant ping an ip when the two switches are linked together...

Connect any equipment to my main switch can ping happily away connect a laptop to say the other switch which i need to get working and then link the switches together I cant ping it ....

The new switch has its own IP on my rnage so any ideas ?

Re: Switch Query

Do the switches support Auto-MDIX? What type of cable are you using to connect the two switches?

If the switches support Auto-MDIX then you can connect them with a straight-through cable or a crossover cable. If the switches don't support Auto-MDIX then you need to connect them with a crossover cable.

Comment

Hi yeah tried cross over cable and we use Cat 6a cabling ...

I know my switch is AUTO MDIX but the other we never installed it was bought by someone else and installed by them I Just now need to link them together...its a 3COM 4500 if that helps....

Cheers

Comment

Google tells you that that model supports Auto-MDIX.

Please can you describe exactly what steps you have taken to diagnose the problem so that others are in a better position to help you?

Is your "main" switch managed, as the 4500 is? Check the configuration on both to see if there's anything which would interfere with traffic between them.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi

Well like i said Im no switch expert but here goes...

We configured the 4500 to sit on our range with its own IP ...
          We took off deny ping and also told it to allow traffic from our other switch...

Our Main switch is a HP 5412zI switch and this is just a basic setup on the switch no deny ping and im pretty sure its AUTO MDIX....

So tried a cross over cable no joy tried a standard cat6a no joy....

We can ping any device through my main switch with no issues....connect any device to the 3com and it takes its bat and ball home...

It has the cross over cable in it already and just looking again at the 3com setup ..do you reckon a static route would help between the 2 ?

Comment

Try resetting the 3Com switch to its defaults.

If you connect two computers to the 3Com switch, can they talk to each other?

Basically, try to establish where the problem lies. Is it the switch, or just the link between the switches?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Justa bout to reset the 3com to defaults and yeah we can ping devices through the 3com switch ...( I mean 2 laptops on the 3com switch)

Thanks for the help ...
              Last edited by crashpolo; 24th August 2009, 11:10.

Comment

Working...
              X