Windows Server 2003 and Dns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 and Dns

Hello, i want to setup in Ad users so that when they turn on a pc they login with a user name and password - I know how to do that.

I know that this requires a dns, However i dont any money/agro to buy a new serveror setup dns on the server.

i was wondering could i use a service like Dyndns to use a dns server ? it gives me a domain like ajw901.is-a-geek.com could i use that ?

Or is there anywhere on the internet which allows you to use there servers as a dns ?

Please Help,
    Ajw901
    Last edited by ajw901; 21st August 2009, 21:42. Reason: Adding More Content

Re: Windows Server 2003 and Dns

Maybe I am just tired, but I really do not understand what you are trying to achieve apart from logging onto a server from multiple workstations using the same username and password on each workstation.

What is the DNS question about? If you want a DNS server then just install one on Server 2003 in Add or Remove Programs then Add/Remove Windows Components in the left side of the window. Look under Networking Services.

If the above doesn't answer your question then please post back with a more detailed description of what you are wanting.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hello,
      i have never setup a dns any help on how to do that ?- i dont have a static ip address i take it i have to have one ?

Ajw901

Comment

When setting up AD (which you are saying you are comfortable with) you'll need DNS in order to properly run AD. As biggles said just install and configure MS dns for all internal queries. You can use dyndns if you don't have a public IP address and if you are hosting something in your network and you want tomake it available on the internet.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hello,

I have got a domain ajwserver.co.cc with the ip address 20.20.20.20

I have inputted this into the DNS part of Manage server and it configured it,

Now - when i go onto certain websites on the server IE - Hotmail,Google vidoes and Some more websites it won't load but other pages like this site and google's home page will load - Any ideas ?

As well, when i go to add the domain from windows vista this apears after i enter domain and username and password - Scr prnt bellow. - The blue working circle stick then chucks up the error message.

Ajw901
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ajw901; 25th August 2009, 16:33.

Comment

Click on the More button and insert the FQDN and the try to join the Domain again.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello,

I did what you said and its still chucking out the same message

Any Ideas ?

Ajw901

Comment

The error message basically says it can't find a domain controller for that domain.

Ok, so let's go back to basics. You have a computer running Windows Server. That computer has a static IP address configured of 20.20.20.20. You've installed DNS and Active Directory on there and created the domain AJWSERVER.CO.CC. Correct so far?

What is the hostname of that server? Can you ping it from this PC? Is this PC configured to use that server as its DNS server (usually done by setting up DHCP on the server)?

I have a sneaking suspicion you may be confusing the various uses of the term "domain"...
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Run IPCONFIG /ALL from the machine you are trying to join to the Domain and post the results.
                  Also do the same for the AD Server and make sure you differentiate them. Ta.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X