Lan Connection Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lan Connection Problem

Okay i have a laptop which normally connects via wireless- wanadoo live box. However it went down and wont enable wireless untill i connect to it wired over ethernet.

when i plug in my ethernet windows vista doesnt reconise it, in help it says please plug it in - but it is.

Scrn Prnt below.

I am at the moment im connected to an old Belkin Router.

Ajw901
    Attached Files

Re: Lan Connection Problem

Do you mean that the connection still shows as disconnected?

Do the link LEDs light up either on the NIC or on the router?

Try a different cable and a different port on the router.

Try using the same cable to connect another computer to the same port on the router and see if that works.

Also, compare the plugs at each end of the network cable, are the 8 wires in the same order at each end or is the order different at each end?

Has the wired connection on this computer ever worked before? Try ensuring that Windows and the hardware drivers are fully up to date.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I have recently had issues with some computers with the same issue. The resolutin for now was to manually set the NIC driver speed to 10 Mbps. I changed to different speeds until I had a connection. Very bazaar. Other machines, different NIC, have their NIC speed setting set to automatic still.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Do you mean that the connection still shows as disconnected
        Yes it says its disconnected whilst the ethernet is plugged in.

Do the link LEDs light up either on the NIC or on the router?
        Only the power on the routers show and there's no leds on the nic

Try a different cable and a different port on the router.
        I have tried this. - no avial

Try using the same cable to connect another computer to the same port on the router and see if that works.
        i tried this with my xbox and worked fine.

Also, compare the plugs at each end of the network cable, are the 8 wires in the same order at each end or is the order different at each end?
        yes there both the same

Has the wired connection on this computer ever worked before? Try ensuring that Windows and the hardware drivers are fully up to date.
        All up to date and it used to work.

Ajw901

Comment

Any recollection of what could have changed since it last worked?

Check in Device Manager and in the BIOS that the NIC isn't disabled - although if it was I wouldn't expect the connection to show up, but still worth checking.

Also worth looking in the socket and briefly checking that the pins all look OK - there should be 8 pins, all the same length and at the same angle.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The only thing is I can think of is that I haven't used that port for about a month

The port is fine nothing missing and is enabled In the bios

Ajw901

Comment

Working...
            X