vlan help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vlan help

I am having a hard time understanding vlans. Would there be anyone off the forums that might be able to help explain the vlan concept and how it works? I tried reading about it and understand a bit but real world is different that text to me.

Re: vlan help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN

VLAN's logically segment broadcast traffic. Imagine you have a switch with 24 ports. 12 or those ports can be assigned to VLAN1 and the other 12 to VLAN 2. That would mean that traffic from VLAN 1 would never be able to reach VLAN 2.

VLAN's are great technology as they circumvent logistical issues.

Comment

I understand that part and it seperates that. My problems is I am having heck tring to physically put one together. router to the switch to the port. I having a VOIP Hosted PBX installed soon and they requested me to set my computers up on one vlan and the phones on another vlan. What really throws me off is the fact that the computer is daisy chained through the phone.

Comment

If the voice and data traffic must be seperate then both the IP phone and the PC's will need their OWN dedicated network port thats patched to the appropriate interface on the switch and not terminated through the phones.

Comment

Those were my thoughts also. Thats why I was thrown off, something was telling me that they both couldnt be on the same port. Now what if the Phones where on there own subnet and pc on another? Would that help with noise? Or just a waste of time?

Comment

Feasable but administrative pain as well as not seperating broadcast traffic and thus you wont be able to maintain a healthy QoS for voice traffic. So although possble its pointless. You're only option is seperate ports. Time to get patching

Comment

GRRRRRRRRRR lol

Comment

Working...
              X