Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to split a DNS zone on several servers

Hello,
    Here is the situation : One of my customer has, and manages, his DNS domain, let's say customer.com
    This is a public domain and they have all type of records (MX, www.customer.com, ...)

I would like the users of my network to get a different IP for the record www.customer.com, but to get the regular IPs for all other records in the customer.com domain.

My users use my own internal server (Linux, BIND), that resolves internal domains and forwards other request to the internet.

Is it possible on my DNS server to specify a record for www.customer.com while forwarding to internet all other requests regarding the customer.com domain?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it possible to split a DNS zone on several servers

Yes, create a zone in your dns server called customer.com. Define A record in customer.com zone for www with ip address whatever you like. Configure forwarder on your dns server for addresses that your server will not be able to resolve to internet DNS server.

Comment

I don't think that will work as the internal DNS server will see itself as authorative for the zone due to the automatic creation of the SOA and NS records in the zone. A query for any other record besides the www A record will fail because they won't exist in the zone.

I don't think it can be done using DNS. I think you'll have to resort to using the Hosts file on all of your machines, which is neither elegant, efficient, or recommended.

Comment

What is the internal namespace you are using???

Is it company.com?? If yes then add an 'A' record than points to the IP you want.

Comment

To summarize:

He has a customer that hosts their own DNS zone : customer.com

The customer has a web site at: www.customer.com

He wants to create a DNS zone for customer.com in his own DNS

He wants to create a DNS record for www.customer.com in his own customer.com DNS zone that points to a different ip address than the one in the customer's own DNS zone for customer.com

He wants all other DNS lookups for customer.com to go to his customer's DNS servers.

As I said I don't think this is possible.

Comment

Brain fart sorry.

As joe said previosly the only method, that i know of in Windows OS's, is HOSTS files and they are a nightmare to manage.

Linux/BIND may be different, and probably is.

Why do you want to do this anyway???

Comment

If I remember correctly there was a way to use a centrally located lmhosts file by putting it on a network share and then pointing the client's lmhost file to the network copy. Is the same thing possible with the hosts file? That might make it a little easier if he goes down that road as any changes or updates would only need to be made to the network copy.

Comment

I don't think it is Joe.

We used to use HOSTS files here, why i have no idea as DNS and WINS was working correctly, and it caused us no end of issues if we had to update it.

I think we need to know why the OP wants this done as it seems a strange request.

Comment

Give it try to method I told.
                  Once not long time ago, I did not have firewall to control web traffic and my assignment was to block internal users to browse ebay. I used same method I created internal zone for ebay in my internal dns server and www record I created to one of my server . so when ever user tried to go to ebay they used to land on internal server

Comment

Moved to General Networking since not OS specific
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X