No announcement yet.

Dodgy nic or something else?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy nic or something else?

Hi all,

the gigabit onboard lan adpator on my gigabyte mobo intermittently loses connection, here's what happens......
    my desktop (xp pro sp3) could be merrily working away. I'm connected to the network at 100MBit, then every so often, it will change and the little yellow bubble will say 'connected at 1Gbit' and thats when i know i've lost network connection. My 'offline' status also pops up, thus confirming it.
    I've tried repairing the connection and also looking in the properties of the nic to see if there are any issues.....can't find anything untoward.
    The only recourse is to reboot, as logging off and back on doesn't fix it
    Event viewer show this:
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001A4D551642. The following error occurred: The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

but no answer as to why it happens.

Could it just be a faulty lan adaptor, fixed by the adding of a pci card? Or is there anything else you can suggest i try?
    it certainly seems random, at least no pattern that i can findm and i've not altered any of the adaptors properties, all are at default and always have been.

Thanks for any help offered...its driving me nuts

Re: Dodgy nic or something else?

What's on the other end of the cable?

Have you tried plugging the cable into another computer (or another NIC in this computer)? Does it have the same problem?

Have you tried replacing the cable?

Have you tried replacing what's on the other end of the cable? Assuming it's a router, do any other computers have the same problem?

Until you establish that the only time the problem occurs is when you're using this NIC, we can't know if the NIC is the problem.

If you do replace the NIC and opt for a gigabit card, I'd advise you to use PCI-E rather than PCI as a gigabit PCI adaptor runs the risk of flooding the PCI bus at the expense of other devices.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.