Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwidht Monitoring

Hi all.

I know this has probably been beat to death. However, I am not finding tools to help me with monitoring bandwidth. I know they are out there. And maybe I have tried some that should work and just didn't know how to use it. So I am going to explain what I am trying to do and see what advice I get.

I have a client that has a site to site VPN between two locations. One side is using a Sonicwall TZ190 and the other is using a PIX 506e (soon to be replaced with a Sonicwall TZ210). I am wanting to measure traffice and bandwidth through this VPN tunnel.

Of course free is always nice. But I am more than willing to pay for something as long as it works.

If anyone needs any more information, please let me know.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Re: Bandwidht Monitoring

You're right that there are a number of tools to do this. If you want to monitor basic information like bandwidth useage on the ports of the firewalls then you can try PRTG. The monitored devices need to support SNMP to us PRTG. You can set up an SNMP sensor in PRTG and see the bandwidth useage of the ports being monitored. If you want to monitor the actual traffic (http, ftp, etc.) you can create a sniffer sensor in PRTG and plug a hub between the router and switch and plug your PRTG host machine into the hub. You may or may not be able to see the actual traffic that's encrypted inside the VPN tunnel but you can give it a try. PRTG is free for the first 10 sensors.

http://www.paessler.com/prtg/download

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I went ahead and reinstalled PRTG Network Monitor. I had previously looked at this and had issues getting it working. I went out and downloaded the manual on it and started configuring.

Looks like it is going to help me out a lot. Even to the point that I may be looking at purchasing to get more sensors.

Mike

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Hi all.

I know this has probably been beat to death. However, I am not finding tools to help me with monitoring bandwidth. I know they are out there. And maybe I have tried some that should work and just didn't know how to use it. So I am going to explain what I am trying to do and see what advice I get.

I have a client that has a site to site VPN between two locations. One side is using a Sonicwall TZ190 and the other is using a PIX 506e (soon to be replaced with a Sonicwall TZ210). I am wanting to measure traffice and bandwidth through this VPN tunnel.

Of course free is always nice. But I am more than willing to pay for something as long as it works.

If anyone needs any more information, please let me know.

Thanks for the help

Mike
          Bit late on this topic but Sonicwall's Viewpoint software could have done this for you. Its a free download from your "My Sonicwall Login". I normally run the installation on a virtual machine.

http://livedemo.sonicwall.com/livedemo.html

Comment

Working...
          X