X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

Hi All,

I'm now having problem with my wireless access point in my office,

I've tried the following in order one by one and never run more than two of these:

Linksys WRT54G - running mixed mode B & G WPA-PSK personal - Channel 3

Linksys WRT 310N - running mixed mode B & G & N WPA-PSK personal - Channel 9

D-Link DSL-G604T Gen. II
    - Running default mode WPA-PSK personal - Channel 3

i couldn't get steady ping reply when i ping the AP, and from the Netstumbler, I've found out that
    the other offices around are running CISCO Aironet AP with channel 1, 6 and 11 wireless G

is there any thing that i should pay attention to ? Because this is quite annoying to suffer with non stable AP.

Thanks.

Re: Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

What do you mean by "unstable". Is it a performance issye or a connectivity issue?

Comment

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only 3 channels that do NOT over lap. http://www.alaneden.info/blog.php?pa...d=200704051722 From the top image you can see that Channel overlaps with everything between Channel 2 and Channel 10. Depending on the signal strength of the other APs, this can drown your signal. One way to get yours to work is change to the weakest channel (out of 1, 6 and 11 ) that you can detect in your office, setup your AP on that channel and then boost the signal output to 100%. This may drown the other signal and make yours the dominant one.

Looking at your post this is unlikely as the Linksys used to be set with a default signal power output of 30% of the total available. It required a hack from HyperWAP to allow you to boost the output to 100%.

The Cisco APs are more than likely transmitting on full power so the possibility of over powering them is slight. You could always line your office walls with tin foil and that would reduce the strenght of the other signals substantially.

Last option that I can think of is to get an 802.11n AP. This transmits in the 5GHz band (11g transmits in the 2.4GHz band) so you won't have the signal conflict problem. The computers you are using will also need 11n wireless network adapters.

Please note the devices you have listed in bold that you have tried are really domestic products and are not designed for business use (even though so many do use them).
      11 was a racehorse.
      22 was 12
      1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
      ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Thanks for the response mate, at the moment I am trying to find the root cause of intermittent network failure before getting the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series which is very expensive for a Medium Office 45 users.

performance is not a problem though.

Comment

Sounds like possible cross talk or a defective radio/reciever. Try the AP on diffrent channels and see if that helps.

Comment

Seriously, Albert. You haven't given us very specific information on the problem. We're all assuming that you're having a connectivity problem, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Can you give us more detail on what's been happening? Thanks much.

Comment

a first it went fine but after few hours of running one AP at once i need to power cycle the AP.

i wonder if this is the case of my "small" AP is disrupted with those CISCO device

even now I am thinking to get a booster antenna but yes i need to give a compelling reason to my director before i purchase those equipment.

thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Seriously, Albert. You haven't given us very specific information on the problem. We're all assuming that you're having a connectivity problem, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Can you give us more detail on what's been happening? Thanks much.
                Hi Joe,

it is all about the connectivity issue not a performance

I've moved this AP to different spot with different cable and Wall jack in my office but still doesn't work properly.

but surprisingly it runs perfectly at my home though

Comment

Thanks, A. The wireless clients are dropping their connections then? You could try using a wireless site survey to map out the signals in the office and determine where the best spot for your AP would be. The one I use is free at:

http://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview.html

Comment

thanks Joe for your suggestion,

I shall get back to you with the result in the next 8 hrs as i have to sleep now.

Cheers.

Comment

Pleasant dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only 3 channels that do NOT over lap. http://www.alaneden.info/blog.php?pa...d=200704051722 From the top image you can see that Channel overlaps with everything between Channel 2 and Channel 10. Depending on the signal strength of the other APs, this can drown your signal. One way to get yours to work is change to the weakest channel (out of 1, 6 and 11 ) that you can detect in your office, setup your AP on that channel and then boost the signal output to 100%. This may drown the other signal and make yours the dominant one.

Looking at your post this is unlikely as the Linksys used to be set with a default signal power output of 30% of the total available. It required a hack from HyperWAP to allow you to boost the output to 100%.

The Cisco APs are more than likely transmitting on full power so the possibility of over powering them is slight. You could always line your office walls with tin foil and that would reduce the strenght of the other signals substantially.

Last option that I can think of is to get an 802.11n AP. This transmits in the 5GHz band (11g transmits in the 2.4GHz band) so you won't have the signal conflict problem. The computers you are using will also need 11n wireless network adapters.

Please note the devices you have listed in bold that you have tried are really domestic products and are not designed for business use (even though so many do use them).
                        Hi Biggles77,

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply based on your suggestion, I'd like to implement the following action:

1. Utilize the Linksys WRT 310N:

* using channel that is not being used (in this case 3 or 9),
                        * since this device doesn't have antenna therefore i couldn't try to install better antenna and set the power higher than standard.
                        * Operate in Wireless G only

and then if all else fail, i might try to

* Upgrade the firmware of the Linksys WRT54G by using HyperWAP firmware and then install better hi gain antenna. (I'll have to google around)

and my last resort is of course get the expensive Cisco Aironet 1250 wireless N AP.

Comment

Did you not look at the channel overlap image in the link I provided?
                          Channel 3 is overlapped by channel 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
                          Channel 9 is overlapped by 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11.

When your domestic product gets knocked off the air, does it come back online? Have you left netstumbler or other signal monitor app running to see if the other offices APs are doing the dirty deed?
                          Do you have a wirless phone system running on the 2.4GHz range?
                          Do you have a microwave in the office that gets random use?

Don't forget if you get the Cisco Aironet 1250 then all the computers that need to access the device shall need 11n Wireless NICs or it will not work as intended.

You could also investigate the possiblity of putting in copper cables and comparing the cost. I can't see any mention of the number of users in the office or what computer types are being used. Copper could be a cost effective option.
                          11 was a racehorse.
                          22 was 12
                          1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
                          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
                          ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            You could also investigate the possiblity of putting in copper cables and comparing the cost. I can't see any mention of the number of users in the office or what computer types are being used. Copper could be a cost effective option.
                            When comparing costs, keep in mind that wired networking offers much higher speeds than wireless, is easier to control and is significantly more secure, since you control physical access to the medium. I have made a point of avoiding deploying wireless inside a company network - on the occasion when we have, we've put the wireless network outside the firewall and made users VPN in.
                            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi All, I've finally found the solution for my specific problem, it is by:

1. upgrading the firmware of my Linksys WRT54-G with v24 Micro Generic SP2 firmware

Code:
                              http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download.php?file=1188
                              2. boost the power to become 100 mW from 71 mW
                              3. use channel #3

ever since then, my Old Linksys now performing even better and the WLAN connection is still going till today without outage.

hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X