Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

connecting to internet without default gateway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting to internet without default gateway?

I have seen a interview question provided by Daniel Petri as follows,

Can a workstation computer be configured to browse the Internet and yet NOT have a default gateway?

My answers : Dial-up internet connection does not requires the configuration of default gateway. The default gateway is present in the ISP itself. However, the default gateway has to be configured to connect to Internet using a broadband connection.

Do my answer correct?Have I understand the question correctly?

Thank you for your time.

Re: connecting to internet without default gateway?

Well the answer is IMHO actually:
    Yes the workstation can browse the Internet without a Default gateway when a proxy server is used.
    Else, without the Default gateway, a client can't find the routes to the different web published resources.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: connecting to internet without default gateway?

I don't think there's much of a difference between broadband and dial-up connections. What I suspect you mean by "the default gateway is present in the ISP itself" is that many people with a broadband connection use a router which is the default gateway for their LAN. If you login to the router though, you'll see that its default gateway is the IP address for your ISP's server.

While I've not used dial-up for a while so can't double check, I would suspect that if you check ipconfig or similar while connected, you'll see that the ISP's DHCP server has configured the default gateway address for your connection.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
      X