Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when connected wireless laptop hangs

I think wireless and me dont work

When a user is connected to the network wirelessly his laptop hangs for ages, sometimes crashes or will eventually wake up and work, but when he connects via cable he has no problems at all.

He is the only user out of the 8 laptop users who connect wirelessly who have this problem.

He and the others connect to a Netgear WG602 802.11g/b AP

Any advise would very much be appreciated

R

Re: when connected wireless laptop hangs

I'd probably start out with updating the drivers for the wireless on the laptop.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Hi Thanks

I have updated drivers to no avail.

Comment

Have you tried another known working Wireless card?

Comment

Do you mean on this laptop, or do you mean have I tried anothe laptop taht connects to the same wireless network?

I havent tried another NIC on the problematic laptop and there are other users that connect to the wireless network and not have any problems with their laptops

Thanks

Comment

On the laptop that is having the problem. Is it an external Wireless NIC or in-built? If it's in-built, they are generally easy to replace wiht another known working one to test, the same applying to the external as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              On the laptop that is having the problem. Is it an external Wireless NIC or in-built? If it's in-built, they are generally easy to replace wiht another known working one to test, the same applying to the external as well.

Its an inbuilt one

Comment

What encryption is being used on the Wireless Network? WEP, WPA, WPA2, Radius etc etc

You are providing drip feed info about your problem. You need to provide a full written description of the setup and what you did to setup the wireless and what you have done to resolve this issue.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  What encryption is being used on the Wireless Network? WEP, WPA, WPA2, Radius etc etc

You are providing drip feed info about your problem. You need to provide a full written description of the setup and what you did to setup the wireless and what you have done to resolve this issue.
                  There is about 60 users on site, 8 of them have laptops dell latitude range and have inbuilt wireless cards.
                  The wireless is set up via netgear access point and it set to wep encryption and 11 baud rate.
                  The problem is only happening to one user.

How ever the user has just this minute informed me that he was connected via cable and the computer just hung, but this is the first time this has happened via cable.

Im beginning to think may be there is an application that is slowing the laptop down do you think? it has 1Gb RAM in it, Kaspersky Antivirus. Ive asked the user to ring me when it hangs so I can look at the processors in task manager and see if there is anything using alot of CPU up.

Thanks
                  R

Comment

What do i think? I think we are still lacking info about your setup. 1GB RAM on a Windows 98 machine will cause problems. 1GB RAM on a Vista machine could also cause problems depending on what is running on it.

REMEMBER, you are physically at your network location and know what is there. You have to take us there by describing it.

So after 9 posts we know you have 60 users, 8 laptops, Netgear WG602 WAP running WEP encryption 1GB RAM, Kaspersky Antivirus and you are getting wireless dropouts on 1 machine.

If you are running Vista I would suggest boosting the encryption to WPA as a minimum and create a 504 bit passphrase. http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/.../generator.php This can be used or you could create your own.

Why is it running at 11 baud? That is really very slow and I suspect unsupported by the AP. Perhaps you mean 11 megabit? Again, why so slow? Are the laptops so old that they only have 11b Wireless Adapters?

As per you other thread, we need information rkaria. If you supply it then there is a really good chance someone may come up with the answer or provide you with a clue on how to resolve this issue.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

And with you now mentioning that the laptop hung when plugging in via the ethernet cable as well, I would recommend further investigation via the Event Viewer. Also, check whether the laptop needs defragging and the programs running in the background via MSCONFIG. Also, it will be worth carrying out an AV scan and set it to scan deeper than usual and a spyware scan. It is best to run the scans in normal mode, then safe mode and then normal mode again.

Comment

Have you scanned for viruses on that machine yet???

Comment

Working...
                        X