Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless connects via cable but not wireless

I am trying to set up a WLAN using an access point with in a LAN

I have configured the IP of the access point and the laptop with in the same IP range as the LAN and with the subnet mask and default gateway.

The netgear access point is connected to a 5 port netgear hub which is connected to the current LAN.

My problem is I can not connect to the network, I can see and connect to the access point fine, but if I want to browse the internet or view files on the network I can not.

I can not ping the access point but if I connect the access point from my laptop via a cable I can ping it, but obviously not get on to the network.

I have tried using different freqency channels which are 1,3,4,8 and 11, the Bit Rate is set to automatic.

Any advise please
    Thanks
    R

Re: Wireless connects via cable but not wireless

Is the WAP giving out DHCP addresses? When connected to the wireless network, can you ping beyond the WAP (maybe ICMP reply is turned off) to another device on the LAN? Can another device on the LAN ping the WAP? Can another device on the LAN ping your machine while it's connected to the WAP?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

What is the make/model of the Wireless device?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Both

Thank you for your advice, I was able to resolve the problem, I dont know what I did different but I entered the network key again and was able to get onto the network this time....not sure why it let me this time but im glad its working.

Thanks again

R

Comment

Probably a typo. If you Copy & Pasted it then I would guess the Copy included a space at the end. No prizes for know why I think that's what might have happened.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X