Failure to see machines in one direction in a Wireless-linked LAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to see machines in one direction in a Wireless-linked LAN

I have a desktop and a laptop wirelessly linked in a LAN by means of a ZyXEL DSL modem which is bridged to a Wireless Linksys WRT54GS router.

The desktop is linked from its NIC Card by ethernet cable to the router and the laptop is wirelessly linked to the router.

Both machines have XP-Pro and both are in the same workgroup - named WORKGROUP.

Both machines have AVG a/v and Zone Alarm firewall.

Both machines are set to to "obtain an IP address automatically" and have the following addresses respectively :-

desktop;- 192.168.1.100
    laptop;- 192.168. 1.101

The desktop has the name "Dtop" and the laptop the name "ltop"

I can access the Web both by Ethernet and the laptop is able to access the Web wirelessly.

When , on the dtop, I click on Network Places> and go all the way through to Workgroup I can see both machines and am able to access all shared folders.

However , if I do this from the ltop , it hangs in Workgroup and neither "dtop" or "ltop" is "seen"

If , on the dtop in a cmd prompt I ping "ltop" I get "could not find host ltop"
    Pinging "192.168.1.101" is however OK.

Pinging from the ltop is OK using either the IP numbers or the name "dtop"

Can anyone suggest why the LAN cannot "see" either machines from the laptop - why does it stick at "Workgroup" in this direction?

Re: Failure to see machines in one direction in a Wireless-linked LAN

Firewall(s) on ltop is causing the issue. You either need to disable them, NOT a good idea, or add exceptions into the firewall(s). You will have the XP firewall, ZoneAlarms firewall and maybe one on AVG (don't know the program so I can't say for sure).
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Firewall(s) on ltop is causing the issue. You either need to disable them, NOT a good idea, or add exceptions into the firewall(s). You will have the XP firewall, ZoneAlarms firewall and maybe one on AVG (don't know the program so I can't say for sure).
      I forgot to mention in my post that I have set both ZA firewalls to accept the IP's and the machine names on both .

The windows XP firewall is set to OFF on both machines and , as far as I know , the AVG version I've always been using , i.e. the AVG Free Edition , doesn't have a firewall.

N.B. I know its not recommended , but I also switched off the ZA firewall on the laptop for a few moments but that also failed to cure the problem.

Comment

It usually takes more than a few minutes for a computer to show up in My Network Places. Make sure that File & Printer sharing are enabled on the NIC of both computers, make sure that the Workstation and Server services are running on both computers, turn the firewall off on both computers and wait about 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          It usually takes more than a few minutes for a computer to show up in My Network Places.

Yes I realise that happens. However - this time I left it for more than the usual delay and it still didn't show.

Make sure that File & Printer sharing are enabled on the NIC of both computers, make sure that the Workstation and Server services are running on both computers,

Yes to all of that.

turn the firewall off on both computers and wait about 15 minutes.
          Will do and will post back results .

Comment

After following suggestions by "joequerty" - no change I'm afraid . On the laptop , any attempt to "see" desktop still sticks at "Workgroup"

Desktop , as before , can "see" and access ltop folders but doesn't work in the other direction.

Pinging works in both directions with the exception that going from Dtop to ltop pings cannot find the name "ltop" . They ping OK when I enter the ltop's IP.

Comment

Check the NIC on both computers on the WINS tab of the Advanced properties of TCP/IP and make sure that NetBIOS is set to Default or Enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Check the NIC on both computers on the WINS tab of the Advanced properties of TCP/IP and make sure that NetBIOS is set to Default or Enabled.
                It is set to DEFAULT on both computers

Comment

This is ,technically speaking , not a "reply" to anyone's post here but is really an additional related question to my original post in this thread.

When you ping one PC in a LAN from another and it connects using the IP of the target PC but gives "unknown server" message when pinging using that PC's name instead of the IP number - what is it which is failing here ? Obviously its the allocation of an IP number to a given PC name but what criteria is it necessary to have for a PC's name and its IP address to be connected ?

Comment

Working...
                  X