Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sudden loss of Wireless in a LAN - Initial Question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden loss of Wireless in a LAN - Initial Question?

I have an XP Pro desktop which connects to the Web through a Prestige ZyXEL DSL modem and thence through a Linksys WRT54GS Router to the card on the PC.

I have been using a wirelessly connected Lenovo T60 to the router thus forming a LAN.

Both the desktop and the laptop have the connection set to obtain IP's automatically. Both are on the same workgroup named "WORKGROUP"

I have Zone Alarm and AVG installed on both machines and both ZA's have been set to accept the relative IP's of both machines.

This has been working for over a year and , suddenly , yesterday , I have lost the wireless link to the laptop.

I am able to access the web from the laptop by using an Ethernet connection between both machines.

Before I ask any questions I would like to ask this question first :-

I notice the little icon light on the Lenovo is lit - this is a little symbol like an antenna and indicates the detection of the presence of wireless transmissions.

Does this indication mean that the wireless card is still serviceable ? It says so in Device Manager.

The reason I ask this question first is that I'm trying to eliminate the possibilty of a wireless card failure before diagnosing further ?

Re: Sudden loss of Wireless in a LAN - Initial Question?

I have no doubt you've checked this, but is there any chance your laptop has been put into "flight mode" with WiFi and Bluetooth disabled?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I believe the Lenovo have Bluetooth and Wirelessbuilt into the same switch. Try turning the switch off, then turn it back on again.

Does the wireless network get detected in when you View Wireless Networks?
      If you install NetStumbler do you see your WAP?
      Do you see any WAPs?
      Have you checked to see if you are getting an IP assigned to your Wireless NIC?
      Did you power cycle the Linksys device?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        I have no doubt you've checked this, but is there any chance your laptop has been put into "flight mode" with WiFi and Bluetooth disabled?
        Yes I checked that - It was ON but I then switched it OFF and then back to ON - without effect unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          I believe the Lenovo have Bluetooth and Wirelessbuilt into the same switch. Try turning the switch off, then turn it back on again.

Did that - no effect.

Does the wireless network get detected in when you View Wireless Networks?
          If you install NetStumbler do you see your WAP?
          Do you see any WAPs?
          Have you checked to see if you are getting an IP assigned to your Wireless NIC?
          Did you power cycle the Linksys device?
          Since my original post here , due to fact that I don't want to be off-line for any length of time at the moment , I've temporarrily dissconnected the router and got ethernet web-access directly from the ZyXEL DSL modem - this of course doesn't have wireless facility.

I'll eventually return to this post and continue the diagnostic discussion ASAP.

Meanwhile , thanks to all who replied.

Comment

Have you tried the Repair option when you right click on the wireless icon in the System Tray?

Does it go through all the necessary steps?
            Stop device
            Start device
            Clear ARP Cache
            Refresh NetBIOS
            Flush DNS
            Register DNS
            (or soething very similar)
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Have you tried the Repair option when you right click on the wireless icon in the System Tray?

Does it go through all the necessary steps?
              Stop device
              Start device
              Clear ARP Cache
              Refresh NetBIOS
              Flush DNS
              Register DNS
              (or soething very similar)
              This reply of your seems to have just missed my latest post which you will now read here , Biggles77.

As you can see I've temporarily suspended posting here for the moment - I hope to return to the threads here soon when I will answer any questions responders have sent .

Thanks for the contributions , as always !

Comment

I seem to have sorted this problem out , but I'm afraid I've no idea why I suddenly lost wireless connectivity in the first place .

I restored it by simply disconnecting the Linksys wireless router - reconnecting it to the DSL Zyxel modem and the desktop network card , then re-entering the network Key and Encription Type into the appropriate places and got the wireless connection back.

Another of those networking "black art" mysteries , I'm afraid - sorry I can't be more specific in helping others with a similar problem and/or symptom.

Comment

Glad you're up and running again, just quickly, can't remember if you said whether you did or not..

Had you previously power-cycled the Linksys or both devices??

As I have a Linksys WRT54G at home, and we have to power-cycle it regularly..

DJ
                  Daniel John
                  A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by djohn86 View Post
                    Glad you're up and running again, just quickly, can't remember if you said whether you did or not..

Had you previously power-cycled the Linksys or both devices??

As I have a Linksys WRT54G at home, and we have to power-cycle it regularly..

DJ
                    On previous occasions when I have had wireless connection problems I have power cycled the Linksys only . The only connection normally used in my LAN is wireless between the desktop and the laptop using the Linksys which is bridged across a ZyXEL DSL modem from the phone line. In addition , on previous occasions when a loss of wireless connectivity occurred , I could always connect the two machines by ethernet cable.This is also the case in the instance talked abbout here in this post.

However my concern was to re-establish the wireless connection and , in this case , re-cycling the power on the Linksys didn't work.

I'm not sure what it was which made the wireless connection return on this case - I'm beginning to suspect that the encryption setup got corrupted somehow because it seemed to be at a different setting from my original settings. However , as I say I can't be certain about this - you know how it is with these settings - once you arrange them and get everything working , who looks at them again or who can even remember what they were ? All I can say to you is , I'm afraid , is Best of Luck !

Comment

Hahahaha, thanks for replying, and yeah I do know how it is..
                      Got so fed up with it that I just went out and bought a brand new Linksys Wireless-N DSL Combo Box for about $150...

Yet to set it up though..

DJ
                      Daniel John
                      A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Working...
                      X