building NAS on own

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building NAS on own

hey . i have 3 ide hard drives(each 160gb).
    how do i create a network attached storage with this 3 harddrives. well the intention is to make 2node windows cluster for oracle database ..

Re: building NAS on own

Originally posted by 123anup View Post
    hey . i have 3 ide hard drives(each 160gb).
    how do i create a network attached storage with this 3 harddrives. well the intention is to make 2node windows cluster for oracle database ..
    Look for a NAS case first. Shop around a bit. Of course, Newegg is teh pwn. However, NAS for shared storage isn't as reliable or fast as SANs, but that's another story...
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

You may want to check with Oracle if thats a supported setup. Oracle is I/O intensive. That doesnt sound very practical to me to put an Oracle database on a NFS share assuming thats what your trying to do.

Comment

Check out FreeNas.

http://www.freenas.org/

It's a Linux based NAS engine that you can use to create a NAS box from random hard drives you have around the house.

I'm currently using it to back up my home network.
        MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Working...
        X