Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Traffic Generator/Emulator/Simulator

Hello.

I want to play around with QoS on my routers but have no means to generate enough traffic to saturate a 100mbs link.

I know there are programs out there that can generate traffic, but they are expensive, does anyone know of a good opensource/freeware program that can do this?

-Thanks

Re: Network Traffic Generator/Emulator/Simulator

Well dont know if this is what youre looking for, so check this out.

http://trafficemulator.nsasoft-llc.qarchive.org/

Regards
    Kevin

Comment

That looks like it will work, thanks!

Comment

You would not happen to know how to use the program?

For the life of me I am unable to get it to work.

Thanks

Comment

I doubt anyone here is an expert in this program, but knowing the specifics of what is troubling you would be helpful. Nsasoft makes Traffic Emulator, and here is a list of help documents from their website. This is the only thing listed for Traffic Emulator (which seems to be a subset of their larger NSauditor product). Not much to go on.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I put in my routers IP as the to ip address and my ip address as the from, and set packets to 200. Then click start and nothing happens.

Comment

I just tried it myself and I see what you mean. Interestingly, tThe larger the range of addresses that you put in the "from" fields will make a longer wait for the blue progress bar at the bottom to move. Just putting in one address will make the progress bar non existent. Wireshark doesn't show any traffic coming from either of my interfaces. Maybe Traffic Emulator somehow operates lower than what Wireshark looks at. A friendly email to their support address might be in order. They claim to have free tech support, but I'm not sure if that extends to their free products. Just ask them if they have a full manual for Traffic Emulator because they snippet that they have on their documents page is woefully inadequate.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

sorry for only answering now, but i havent really tried the program yet, i had it in my favourits for some reason, and you said you were looking for free program, so that's what i had. Sorry didn't work for you.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X