No announcement yet.

which type of class IP shall i use for large network?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which type of class IP shall i use for large network?

Hi, guys how are you doing?I used to work in SBS 2003 and right now I am asked to install and configure a new server 2003 standard edition for a new company having work station 120 computers are connected and my question is, before I start installation and configuration, I need to prepare for it. Here are the following questions I have to ask 1. What type of class IP Address shall I use? Is it alright to use class B IP Address? 2. After installing and configuring DNS, Active Directory, I want to make this server as a “DHCP server”. But some Network Administrators said “you don't have to make this server as DHCP server, because you will have slow network I don't understand what they are saying? As I read about DHCP server, it will assign an IP Address Automatically. But slow network connection...? I don’t know about that 3. Configuration of a ROUTER, the manager of the company told me that soon they will have a STATIC IP Address from ISP. So, shall I wait for this address before installing and configuring DHCP server? In theory as I read during configuration of DHCP server, there is an option “forward queries” if you have DNS from ISP. But I did not tried it before, I mean don't know how to do it 4. For instance, my DHCP server (1st DC, IP =, if I reserved An IP-Address during configuration of DHCP, (reserved address =; can I make this IP Address as 2nd Domain controller? Please guys help me I don’t have more experience and knowledge Thank you very much
    Last edited by danyee; 15th June 2009, 20:03.

Re: which type of class IP shall i use for large network?

120 computers will be fine with a class C (192.168.x.x/24) address but you need to consider future need for e.g. network devices, printers...)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I have this posted somewhere else but it is late and I can't see the Search button.

Default Gateway: x.x.x.1
      Switches: x.x.x.2 - 16
      Servers: x.x.x.17 - 29
      Printers: : x.x.x.30 - 55
      Other Reserved: x.x.x.57 - 59
      Workstations : x.x.x.60 - 254

Class C is fine although in the educational environment that I mostly work, 10.x.x.x/24 or 23 or 22 range is used. Makes for easy expansion or you could use a Class C and expand it later using CIDR if necessary.

What I like about the above structure is that it is the same just about where ever I work. In a small business you can do something similar.

The DHCP Scope will be to with an Exclusion of to

Default Gateway:
      Switches: - 9
      Servers: - 19
      Printers: - 29
      Other Reserved: - 39
      Workstations: - 254

Again it means that you will always know what the Server IP (or server range) is at any site.

Another good tool to use is DHCP Reservations. Enter a MAC address and assign an IP. Makes it easy for managed switches so you don't have to break out the Console Cable to set the IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway etc and for network printers.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Thank you so much guys