Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless bridge

Hi ,

The company that i work for has just bought an new site with a smaller office about 300 metres away and I was woundering if bridging would be possible, I have looked at a few wireless AP's.

I just dont want it dropping every 10 minutes. There are some houses between the sites as the land bend round, there will be less that 5 people there.

I was woundering if anyone has setup a bridge like this and if so what is the best type of access point to by?

Thank you

Joe

Re: Wireless bridge

Well 300 meters is a few meters,you have to the some factors, like does it have LOS ? ( Line of Sight ) , with normal antenas incorporated in the routers will probably not be a solution, you will have to connect user external antenas, probably yagi or directional antenas. do you have a picture of the place ? will it only be for internet or to transfere files as well?

Regards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

What sort of budget do you have for the project?

VPN may be a better and cheaper option.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No we dont have line of sight as there are some houses and trees. VPN might look a better option. (plus i dont fancy climbing ladders)

Comment

Well if you said that you wanted to connect via wireless i presumed that you wouldnt have land line. Will you have land line with adsl ? if so, get 2 vpn routers and problem solved.

Regards

Comment

Slight difference in speed between WiFi and VPN over ADSL

What sort / what volume of data are you looking at moving?
            Last edited by Ossian; 13th June 2009, 08:10.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well of course there is a very big difference, i allready asked things and joeqwert as well, but he doesent answer non of the questions. If he doesent have LOS he will have to climb to the roof , and install the antenas and set up the link.

Regards
              Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Huh? Are you saying you asked me some questions and that I didn't answer? If so, where and when did you ask them? I'm confused as to what you mean...

Comment

I think he means he and you asked the OP some questions, Joe. Then again, maybe he's confusing you with Biggles
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Reading it again, I think you're right. Thanks.

Comment

Ups, sorry about that It Was Biggles , i had 2 windows open, one answering something in sbs2008 and the other one here, my bad. Well just waiting to see if he answers some things ton help him out.

Regards

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        I think he means he and you asked the OP some questions, Joe. Then again, maybe he's confusing you with Biggles
                        Not possible as Joeqwerty has more hair.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well, we're all waiting for Bavisimo to come back with more information about what he actually wants to do.....

Biggles, hair and fleece are often confused
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Working...
                          X