Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dns Issue (DNS Suffixes)

Dear All

I configure lab for 1 domain call "test.local"and 1 child dmain call "child.test.local"

these domain is different subnet
    Child.test.local 192.168.1.1
    server.test.local 172.16.1.1
    server2.test.local 172.16.1.10

2 host connected to child network
    2 host connected to test.local network

i can ping host to test.local host but i can not ping host on child domain with hostname but i ping with FQDN or IP any solution

i want to ping or access with "\\abc" not by ipaddress single hostname

Re: Dns Issue

Moved to General Networking
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

How's your DNS configured on the child domain,
      AD integrated or enabled forwarders to the root DNS?
      Also make sure this is configured on the clients:
      To resolve an unqualified name by appending the primary DNS suffix and the DNS suffix of each connection (if configured), click Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes. If you also want to search the parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix up to the second-level domain, click to select the Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix check box.

Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../tcpipdns.mspx
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi,
        Check in DNS Server that whether the IP and host names are registered properly.
        Or else ipconfig /registerdns manually in that host in your child domain to register in DNS

Thanks
        -PREM
        MCSA

Comment

Originally posted by premglitz View Post
          Hi,
          Check in DNS Server that whether the IP and host names are registered properly.
          Or else ipconfig /registerdns manually in that host in your child domain to register in DNS

Thanks
          -PREM
          MCSA
          He's saying he can ping the FQDN.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Dns Issue (DNS Suffixes)

i tried make conditional forworder for child domain but cant resole the issue

this is the host on child domain abc.child.test.local

i ping the host with FQDN abc.child.test.local or ip address i access the with this

i having problem with ping abc
            or access pc with \\abc not \\abc.child.test.local or \\192.168.1.15

any configuration that i make on dns server or missting

all dns server is ad integrated.

Comment

On the client itself on the TCP/IP settings can you make sure you have ticked Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

finally problem solved but in different way i check Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes its check by default in xp clients.

i uncheck this option and check on this option "APPEND THESE DNS SUFFIX IN ORDER" and the child.test.local.

and now i can ping access the system by name

Comment

Working...
                X