Do-It-Yourself Web-Based Support Remote Control Solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do-It-Yourself Web-Based Support Remote Control Solution

I am trying to get some information about different possible computer remote control solutions out there - specifically do-it-yourself web-based ones where the end-user can simply do something like browse to a website and then I can take control of their computer, transfer files, etc. (in a troubleshooting/support role). I currently ues LogMeIn Rescue, and while it works great, I can't help but wonder if there are simply free versions of this that one can install if they have a web server at home or through a hosting provider. If anyone has any information about either another service that offers this same capability for free, or a do-it-yourself free application that one can use with a web server to accomplish this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Marc

Re: Do-It-Yourself Web-Based Support Remote Control Solution

This suggestion is perhaps not quite what your looking for but is a free solution and still allows the customer to donwload it from a web portal.

http://www.crossloop.com/

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at UltraVNC SC
      And here is a useful manual for it: http://www.simply-postcode-lookup.co...leClickVNC.htm
      Last edited by L4ndy; 13th May 2009, 11:00.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

crossloop is good, although slow, but works through firewalls.

you could also try msn live messengers' remote assistance option ?

some of my colleagues also use skype for application sharing, but this doesn't really mee tyour needs as it needs installed software and stuff
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Try Teamviewer. Great application and free for non commercial use. Works the same way as Bomgar LanDesk without the need for opening any ports on your gateway,

Comment

Originally posted by mbressman View Post
            specifically do-it-yourself web-based ones where the end-user can simply do something like browse to a website and then I can take control of their computer, transfer files, etc. (in a troubleshooting/support role)
            Just to make things clearer for my foggy mind, are you proposing some kind of no-install solution for the end user? In that case, I don't think anything like that exists. The simplest thing that I've thought of (and believe me, I've been where you are right now ) is to simply create a friendly web page to have people browse to where there is a big shiny button that, when clicked, downloads an installer for some kind of remote control application. On that page are saccharine sweet instructions on how to install it and then use it. At the moment I'm impressed with Crossloop for it's simplicity and "it just works" ability. In reference to tehcamel's comment, I haven't noticed any slowness with it. However, I don't have the huge needs that programs like LogMeIn Rescue and Teamviewer can meet with logging and managing multiple remote connections and a library of customers and all that.

How about if you tell us what the top three favorite features are of LogMeIn Rescue and that can better help us help you.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I found a service that might meet the needs of those looking to host their own remote support server. The service is called ShowMyPC. They have an enterprise business plan that allows you to install the service on your own server. Check out the FAQ to find out more about the program's features. I have no personal experience with this service and cannot vouch for it's quality.

I also posted this solution in this similar thread.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
              X