Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dowload Takes All the Bandwidth

Hi guys,

For the past few days, everytime I dowload a file or run Youtube videos I can no longer open another site at the same time. It seems all the bandwidth is taken by the download process.

This problem has only occurred recently and it never used to be like this.

I have not added any software to my system either so am really puzzled why this problem has suddenly occurred?

Any suggestions please?

TIA.

Josh

Re: Dowload Takes All the Bandwidth

Can someone else on the same network download a file or browse to a site while you're downloading/YouTubing? Or, is it just isolated to your computer? Something makes me suspect that it isn't a bandwidth issue, but more of a TCP/IP issues on your local machine. Are you downloading with a web browser or FTP client or what? What browser are you using? Can you open a second browser and browse with that while you're download? For instance, if you're using FireFox to get a video on YouTube, then open IE and try to browse. Just trying to narrow the scope of the issue down.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
      Can someone else on the same network download a file or browse to a site while you're downloading/YouTubing? Or, is it just isolated to your computer? Something makes me suspect that it isn't a bandwidth issue, but more of a TCP/IP issues on your local machine. Are you downloading with a web browser or FTP client or what? What browser are you using? Can you open a second browser and browse with that while you're download? For instance, if you're using FireFox to get a video on YouTube, then open IE and try to browse. Just trying to narrow the scope of the issue down.

It's my home computer. So not on a network.

Problem is the same with all browsers.

No I can't open another browser when watching youtube or downloading ( via browser not FTP). The browser opens blank page.
      Last edited by Josh50; 6th May 2009, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh50 View Post
        It's my home computer. So not on a network.
        So there's no other computers on your home network? Is your home computer behind a firewall or is it plugged directly into the 'net?

Problem is the same with all browsers.

No I can't open another browser when watching youtube or downloading ( via browser not FTP). The browser opens blank page.
        Do you have any torrent programs running in the background? Even ones that you may have forgotten (Free Download Manager has a torrent plug-in that I forgot about once. That was fun)?

Have you run the usual AntiMalware programs? I'd recommend using HijackThis and analyze the logfile at www.HijackThis.de (It's powerful and you need to do some research into it first... let me know if you've never used it before), SpyBot Search and Destroy, MalwareBytes and maybe a few other scanners.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

So there's no other computers on your home network? Is your home computer behind a firewall or is it plugged directly into the 'net?

Do you have any torrent programs running in the background? Even ones that you may have forgotten (Free Download Manager has a torrent plug-in that I forgot about once. That was fun)?

Have you run the usual AntiMalware programs? I'd recommend using HijackThis and analyze the logfile at www.HijackThis.de (It's powerful and you need to do some research into it first... let me know if you've never used it before), SpyBot Search and Destroy, MalwareBytes and maybe a few other scanners.
          I have covered all the stuff you mentioned in your post and I've come to conclusion that the problem must lie with the ISP set-up. Common sense would say the ISP should design the system in such a way that not all of the bandwidth is taken by a download program as seems to be the case in my situation. They do not admit the problem is being caused by their setup, but I'm fairly certain it is.

Comment

Based on the symptoms, I'm not convinced that it's the ISP's problem. I may be a technical possibility that it's an ISP issue, but they'd be getting hammered with tech support requests and having customers leaving by the truckload. It's in their best interested to not have their system behave like this and to fix it as quickly as possible. Aside from that, the individual OS is what manages and throttles TCP connections like this. Even if your ISP was only giving you dial up speeds, your TCP/IP stack would be portioning out sessions just fine.

Get another computer and try it out on the network. That's the only way to isolate the problem. Actually, you don't even need another computer. Just get a Linux Live CD like Knoppix, burn it to a CD and boot from it. See if it has the same problems. If not, you know it's an issue with your installation of Windows.

Let us know how it turns out.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

What if an individual within the ISP was technically minded and from their end messed about with my individual account so that would stop me from working - some individuals within the ISP that I use know me personally and the types of work that I do.

On the other hand it could be a clever malware which has not been picked up by the so far utilities which I've run - I say this because since yesterday I've been getting another funny problem. the problem is:

"while trying to open a website and the browser fails to open it and it hangs - after disconnecting and reconnecting, the connection stops sending or receiving data and I have to do a restart to put this right. This is an amazing problem and I don't think in a hundred years anyone could find a reason for this!

As far as your suggestions I'm afraid I am not in a situation to do any system work to sort this problem out - i.e. swaping systems or OS's - but somehow I have a feeling if I did a fresh reinstall of the XP the problem may be sorted - I'll probably have to do this when I feel like backing up all my emails/files etc.

Comment

What if an individual within the ISP was technically minded and from their end messed about with my individual account so that would stop me from working - some individuals within the ISP that I use know me personally and the types of work that I do.
                While my knowledge of ISP level networking is slim, I believe that it might be technically possible to do this.

On the other hand it could be a clever malware which has not been picked up by the so far utilities which I've run
                Also possible, but unlikely for multiple separate anti-malware scanners to fail to catch anything. Keep trying those tools. If after several weeks or a month nothing has been found by those scanners with the latest signatures then you know it's most likely not malware

"while trying to open a website and the browser fails to open it and it hangs - after disconnecting and reconnecting, the connection stops sending or receiving data and I have to do a restart to put this right. This is an amazing problem and I don't think in a hundred years anyone could find a reason for this!
                You could try rebuilding your TCP/IP stack. You might also perform a repair installation of your OS. Which OS are you running? XP? Vista? Home or Pro?

As far as your suggestions I'm afraid I am not in a situation to do any system work to sort this problem out - i.e. swaping systems or OS's - but somehow I have a feeling if I did a fresh reinstall of the XP the problem may be sorted - I'll probably have to do this when I feel like backing up all my emails/files etc.
                I'll take your word for it... but just so you know it's not hard todownload Knoppix, use a tool like imgburn to burn the image to a CD and then boot up off of it. It's really the simplest way to find out if this is ISP related. If it is, you've got a colossal legal case against your ISP.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

The problem seems fixed now i.e. can run Youtube/download and browse at the same time but I will never know whether the resetting of the TCP/IP did it or the ISP had fixed it from their end. I should have tested the system just before I ran the reset command but hey when I see a "prompt level command" I just can't wait to jump at it & run it asap so for that reason I hope the problem happens again so we can find out if the resetting of the TCP/IP was responsible for the fix

In any case I like to thank you for all the time you gave to this problem. Very much appreciated.

Regards,
                  Josh

Comment

Glad it worked out for you! Thanks for posting back.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                    X