Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Client & Domain Controller

Hello Guys,

I am in the process of changing my Network from using LAN Cables to Wireless. I made a Test on a PC with USB Wireless Adapter, and removed the LAN Cable, and the PC is connected to the Wireless Router just fine. The PC is already a Domain Member, but when I try to login, nothing loads, no Profile, no Sync, since the Wireless starts to work after logging into the Windows unlike LAN Cables, so I can't contact the Server earlier, it just login without anything.

I am not sure what to do, or how to be able to let Wireless Users to login into the Domain Controller with all their Profiles and Files just like LAN Cable Users.

Anyone have any Idea what to do?

Re: Wireless Client & Domain Controller

In the System Tray, right click the wireless icon then left click Repair. Do not have any network cables connected to the laptop. Have you setup any encryption on the Wireless Router? (Please do not say WEP ) Have you copied the key from the Wireless Router to the wireless adapter on the laptop? Use the strongest encrption that is available and a complex key.

Click on the following link for a WPA key generator. http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/.../generator.php
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry for taking a while to reply, but I guess you misunderstood me, it's not about security or encryption, because I did it all. Imagine this, you are a user using a laptop, and you want to login into the domain controll with your account details, and you are not directly connected with a cable to the local network, you want to use your laptop to connect to the wireless network to login, how can you make that possible?

As I mentioned earlier, I did a test, and when I try to login, I get a message says that I can't contact the server and it will log me in offline although everything is configured in a good way. But the problem persists because the wireless in the laptop starts to funtion after logging into the windows, so at the point you type your username and password, you are out of reach from the server. This is my major problem!

Comment

give users local admin and they won't need dc.

Comment

I am assuming that the problem is you can't logon to the laptop when it is out of range of the Wireless device that connects you to the Domain.

I have my credentials cached so I can logon to the laptop while it is still on the Domain. Check to see if there is a GPO on the DC that has disabled cached credentials. From memory I get 10 logons before it stops working. Been a while since I looked that up as I now use Hybernation and hardly ever log off my Domain.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The wireless is 1 Meter away from the laptop, so it's fine. But caching credentials could be an idea, will check it out. Thanks, much appreciated.

Comment

I do not understand what you are trying to say.

The laptop will logon to the Network when connected with a patch lead.
              The laptop will not logon to the Network when you use a Wireless connection.

Assuming the above is correct, how have you setup the wireless connection, what encryption have you used and what is the make & model of the Wireless Router you are using?
              Have you made any configuration changes to the Wireless Router since you first got it?
              What port, on the Wireless Router, connects the Wireless Router to the rest of the Network? WAN Port or one of the switch ports?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think (trying to follow the OPs thread) that the issue is with the first logon for a user, where they cannot pick up the WiFi until logged on and cannot logon until the WiFi is there.

If so, log on using a LAN cable, set up WiFi, disconnct LAN and carry on
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X