File transfer software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File transfer software

Hi, we currently use FTP for transfer of large files to clients. Some clients have recently had FTP blocked and can not get access to important files.

I would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of any software that I can use that will act like rapidshare or similar service?

We want total control over the machine so using a service through a website is not an option. It must be on one of our local servers.

Ideally it would have a web front end that they just enter a pin code and download the correct file.

Has anyone came across something like this ?

thanks

brian

Re: File transfer software

This isn't directly related to your question, but: Do you know how FTP is beling blocked at those clients? Is it simple port blocking or is it some kind of DPI that weeds out the FTP application layer traffic no matter what port is being used? I'm sure you already thought of this, but you could use a non-standard port for your FTP server and have clients change the FTP port number in their FTP client. Of course, there are scads of web based FTP clients out there that might help... but I'm not sure if I would trust them (/me is paranoid). If I'm understanding it correctly, I think "F -> IT" is an open source web based FTP client that you can put on one of your own servers.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

thanks Nonapeptide.

It appears to root out all FTP traffic.... GRRRRrrrrr

I will check out the web client and see if it is a workable solution.

Thanks

Comment

FTP over HTTP might work as well. Certainly FTP over HTTPS would be impenetrable (barring any conspiracy theories involving the g0vernm3nt, the illumanti and Barney the Purple Dinosaur). While searching for FTP over HTTP / HTTPS information, I repeatedly ran across something called WS_FTP. Especially interesting was this thread concerning FTP over HTTPS. Looks like WS_FTP might be something to look into.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks again for that

I am trawling through the option just now! oh what fun....

brian

Comment

Working...
          X