No announcement yet.

Budget Switch Ideas-Needs:Port Mirroring/Spanning w/Bi-Directional Target Port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Switch Ideas-Needs:Port Mirroring/Spanning w/Bi-Directional Target Port

Budget Switch recommendation please - Needs: Port Mirroring(all ports as sources) w/Bi-Directional Target Port

I need a recommendation of a budget(relatively) switch which features:
    - Port Mirroring/Spanning, allowing ALL ports to be sources (all bar Target port obviously)
    - A mirror/span Target port which is Bi-Directional - i.e. which can communicate normally as well as receiving the mirrored data

I would prefer to use a reasonably known brand - so if the likes of 3Com or Cisco or DLink do something like this it would be great. (or even Dell since they offer extended warranties)

Oh, as this may be used in different sized environments, recommendations of 8, 16, 24 and 48 port would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Budget Switch Ideas-Needs:Port Mirroring/Spanning w/Bi-Directional Target Port

You won't find that on a budget switch.

Comment

Re: Budget Switch Ideas-Needs:Port Mirroring/Spanning w/Bi-Directional Target Port

Originally posted by Garen View Post
      You won't find that on a budget switch.
      Thats helpful, thanks!

I did say "budget(relatively)" - I understand I'm probably not going to get this for 100 - but I also don't plan on spending 500...

Any other advice?

Comment

Linksys has a few GB managed switches that might fit the bill. I don't have a list of the model numbers but a quick search on their site should do it for you.

Comment

If you decide on Linksys Gigabit switches, make sure you check the physical dimensions of the switch to confirm that it will fit in your cabinet.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Maybe a second hand cisco 3550 or so?
            Ebay can offer you quite a lot...
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

i'll try to remember to check our dell powerconnect switch tomorrow - i think it may do some of those things..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

call Dell, the powerconnects are much cheaper than cisco, and are capable of most of the features cisco has
                Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

As far as I know the Dell PowerConnect switches allow for port mirroring only 8 ports at a time.

Comment

I just re-read your post and noticed your second requirement. I don't think that even exists.

I spent a few minutes looking at Cisco and even their switches in the low $1000's couldn't mirror all ports

Comment

I don't think that's true. I have a Cisco 2900XL and I'm able to monitor all ports for both ingress and egress traffic and the destinatuon port is able to Tx and Rx it's own traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                        I don't think that's true. I have a Cisco 2900XL and I'm able to monitor all ports for both ingress and egress traffic and the destinatuon port is able to Tx and Rx it's own traffic.
                        Good to know. Personally if I'm mirroring a port to troubleshoot the last thing I would want is my own traffic getting in the way.

Comment

Working...
                        X